threadripper workstation boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
Is anyone aware of any upcoming threadripper motherboards (x399?) that are aimed at actually being a serious business workstation board? (32/64gb ecc dimm verification/support (for 256gb/512gb), one/two 10gbit ethernet/sfp+ ports, IPMI, no stupid RGB LEDs all over the thing)

It seems to have been a bit of a missed market by everyone with the current x299 lineups, nobody seems to do a business aimed board for those that want moderately high core counts AND high clock speeds, the epyc chips give you lots of cores but most aren't even 3ghz.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I mentioned this to the Ryzen/ TR folks and the EPYC folks.

BTW - AMD Computex press conference is one of my first meetings tomorrow.

Reactions: nallar and leebo_28

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
Patrick, have you spoken with anyone from supermicro about their epyc/threadripper plans? they seem to have made an attempt at a couple epyc boards/syetems but when i was looking to buy them i couldnt find anyone that could actually get the H11SSL series boards and ended up with the gigabyte mz31-ar0 boards as it seemed better feature wise (16 vs 8 dimm slots, dual 10gb broadcom vs dual 1gb intel NIC) and was actually obtainable.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I think that some people (Including me) have been ranting on forums during an entire year because AMD lacks a Workstation or Server Motherboard suited for Ryzen and/or ThreadRipper that can go toe to toe with Xeon E3 and E5 or the new W platforms. The missing features are official ECC RAM support (Ryzen PRO has it, theorically), DASH (vPro alternative, also including by Ryzen Pro) and IPMI (Required a BMC).
I suppose that is more probable than we see those features with Embedded Ryzen/EPYC (The highest models are double die ThreadRipper, the lowest end single die Ryzen style) than expecting that a Motherboard manufacturer would come with such product on its own.

I'm tired of the AMD Motherboard situation. You either have to pick between cheap Motherboards that doesn't seem solid enough, or get into the gaming segment where you have to pay for gimmicks that I don't care about. I want a high quality product that is low on gimmicks, Supermicro style.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I'd much rather see improved motherboards from reputable workstation/server manufacturers than increased core counts etc.. For big servers, more cores makes sense. For workstations, we're already hitting a point of diminishing returns. IMO, Threadripper boards should be required to have ECC fully implemented and guaranteed to work. It's not like ECC boards require ECC RAM. So the gamers can still save a few bucks and OC their RAM. This has been a weak spot for AMD for a long time, even pre-Ryzen.

Registered would be nice, but I can see arguments for not having that. I want it mostly so I can upgrade my server and move the old RAM to the workstations, but I could live without it. It would be really nice though, particularly with the current DDR4 pricing.

For workstations, I could live without IMPI, but if there were a competitor with it, they would get my money.

If they manage to produce something like this by the end of the year, I'd be in the market for it. My current server needs are covered, but those new EPYCs are sure shiny.

ntruhan

Feb 10, 2017
Has there been any release date on this board? I would love to get my hands on this. Great alternative to something like the Xeon D-2xxx series. since the Ryzen runs at 65W roughly what those do. Lower-power servers.