Threadripper PRO 5000WX idle power consumption

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
What kind of idle power consumption are people seeing with these procs?

In case it helps, I'm likely pairing the 5955WX with a Supermicro M12SWA-TF on a new Windows 11 workstation build.

How would this compare (in terms of idle power consumption) with an EPYC 7313 or 7343 with a Supermicro H12SSL board?

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have the 16core 3000 series tr pro and the system idles around 250 watt with win 11 desktop (firefox and thunderbird opened);
128gb ram
raid controller + 5 10tb wd red + 2 husmm 400gb
optane 900p 480gb aic
cx-4 100gbe nic
1080ti
1280watt sq psu + bbp

I had a h12ssl + 7443p before the tr pro in this system and the tr pro consumes more power but also annihilates the epyc in my workloads and synthetic benchmarks

Reactions: odditory

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
What kind of idle power consumption are people seeing with these procs?

In case it helps, I'm likely pairing the 5955WX with a Supermicro M12SWA-TF on a new Windows 11 workstation build.

How would this compare (in terms of idle power consumption) with an EPYC 7313 or 7343 with a Supermicro H12SSL board?

Thanks!
That's a similar combo to what I'm building out now (TR Pro + WRX80), but if low power consumption is a real concern then this isn't generally a product class for that. Particularly when it's properly built out with enough DIMMs to enable all the memory channels, it's going to be far higher at idle than the typical desktop class PC, and there isn't really a magic combo for power-sipping that doesn't make significant compromises. Zen1/Zen2 Epyc on Supermicro H12 will also tend to idle higher than Zen3 TR Pro on WRX80.

And a server-oriented Zen1/Zen2 CPU + Supermicro H12 also makes less sense for a Win11 workstation for a lot of reasons - lower core clocks for not a huge cost savings delta, a savings that will be slowly erased in the time required troubleshooting glitchiness and certain combinations of hardware like latest/greatest consumer class GPU's + multiple quad-NVME risers, etc.

A surplus Epyc 7xxx+H12 is great for a lot of use cases but I wouldn't want to do 4K/8K video editing or rendering with W11 directly on one, nevermind AMD may not even provide chipset support for Epyc on Win11. I know they don't support the reverse: no chipset support for desktop-class Ryzen/TR/TR Pro on Windows Server, and can only be sorta-accomplished with unsupported hackery.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I had no problems with a 1080ti on my h12ssl + win 11...
No doubt, but my point wasn't that a consumer GPU won't work on an H12, but to be prepared or at least be able to tolerate potential troubleshooting time and headaches with some consumer hardware combinations on a server board, because I've had tons on exactly that board (PCIe link speeds negotiated wrong, no POST/Boot with certain components in certain slots, on and on), and 100% of which cleared up moving the components to a WRX80 board.

Reactions: UhClem

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I have the 16core 3000 series tr pro and the system idles around 250 watt with win 11 desktop (firefox and thunderbird opened);
128gb ram
raid controller + 5 10tb wd red + 2 husmm 400gb
optane 900p 480gb aic
cx-4 100gbe nic
1080ti
1280watt sq psu + bbp

I had a h12ssl + 7443p before the tr pro in this system and the tr pro consumes more power but also annihilates the epyc in my workloads and synthetic benchmarks
Thanks!

Which RAID card?

Doing some back-of-the-napkin math, your drives, video card and NIC are probably around 60 W idle. Lets say the RAID card is another 10, so of that 250 W you reported, 180 W would be the mobo/CPU/chipset/mem. That's not horrible.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
That's a similar combo to what I'm building out now (TR Pro + WRX80), but if low power consumption is a real concern then this isn't generally a product class for that. Particularly when it's properly built out with enough DIMMs to enable all the memory channels, it's going to be far higher at idle than the typical desktop class PC, and there isn't really a magic combo for power-sipping that doesn't make significant compromises. Zen1/Zen2 Epyc on Supermicro H12 will also tend to idle higher than Zen3 TR Pro on WRX80.

And a server-oriented Zen1/Zen2 CPU + Supermicro H12 also makes less sense for a Win11 workstation for a lot of reasons - lower core clocks for not a huge cost savings delta, a savings that will be slowly erased in the time required troubleshooting glitchiness and certain combinations of hardware like latest/greatest consumer class GPU's + multiple quad-NVME risers, etc.

A surplus Epyc 7xxx+H12 is great for a lot of use cases but I wouldn't want to do 4K/8K video editing or rendering with W11 directly on one, nevermind AMD may not even provide chipset support for Epyc on Win11. I know they don't support the reverse: no chipset support for desktop-class Ryzen/TR/TR Pro on Windows Server, and can only be sorta-accomplished with unsupported hackery.
Just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of less cores, more GHz for my workstations. But I'm relatively new to AMD and want to make sure the system isn't needlessly heating up the office when I'm not using it. I've already got too many servers in here warming things up.

Also, H12 is Zen2/Zen3, not Zen1/Zen2. My primary comparison is Zen3 Epyc vs Zen3 TR Pro.

FWIW, my current workstation is a Supermicro X9 server board with an E5-1650 (Sandy Bridge-EP). Most things worked fine with this board but I had tons of problems with audio cards, of all things. I ended up giving up on that and went with a USB-based SoundBlaster.:(

Reactions: odditory

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of less cores, more GHz for my workstations. But I'm relatively new to AMD and want to make sure the system isn't needlessly heating up the office when I'm not using it. I've already got too many servers in here warming things up.

Also, H12 is Zen2/Zen3, not Zen1/Zen2. My primary comparison is Zen3 Epyc vs Zen3 TR Pro.

FWIW, my current workstation is a Supermicro X9 server board with an E5-1650 (Sandy Bridge-EP). Most things worked fine with this board but I had tons of problems with audio cards, of all things. I ended up giving up on that and went with a USB-based SoundBlaster.:(
You're right, I somehow conflated H11/H12 since I was just looking again at the hundreds of variations offered by the ebay seller known here in the great-deals thread. Coincidentally I'm also trying to replace a near-decade-old X9SCM-iiF + E3-1240v2 with one of these.

On the Workstation front it's slim pickings because AMD/Intel decided there wasn't enough ROI in the HEDT/WS segment when datacenter/cloud was willing to pay 2-5x for the same piece of silicon. So to get highest core freq on an actual workstation platform - meaning more than the anemic 24+4 PCIe 4.0 lanes of Z790/X670E, you're looking at Zen3 TR Pro + WRX80, and if you want PBO it narrows further to basically just ASRock Creator since MSI and the rest of the original WRX80 AIB's lost interest during the Lenovo exclusivity nonsense.

And yet spending new thousands on a Zen3 TR Pro also feels a bit like putting on a pair of dirty underwear since we're already at the beginning of AMD's next cycle and Zen4 TR (I believe Patrick points this out as well). There's just isn't a no-brainer, high core frequency WS option that doesn't also feel like you're overpaying for just-obsoleted tech.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
You're right, I somehow conflated H11/H12 since I was just looking again at the hundreds of variations offered by the ebay seller known here in the great-deals thread. Coincidentally I'm also trying to replace a near-decade-old X9SCM-iiF + E3-1240v2 with one of these.
No worries.....gotta love the X9's!

On the Workstation front it's slim pickings because AMD/Intel decided there wasn't enough ROI in the HEDT/WS segment when datacenter/cloud was willing to pay 2-5x for the same piece of silicon. So to get highest corespeed on an actual workstation platform with more than an anemic 24+4 PCIe 4.0 lanes, you're looking at Zen3 TR Pro + WRX80, and if you want PBO it narrows further to basically just ASRock Creator since MSI and the rest of the original WRX80 AIB's lost interest during the Lenovo exclusivity nonsense.
Yep - totally agree. I miss the old days when there was innovation in the WS space. Luckily, I can live without PBO so I'm not limited to just ASRock.

And yet spending new thousands on a Zen3 TR Pro also feels a bit like putting on a pair of dirty underwear since we're already at the beginning of AMD's next cycle and Zen4 TR (I believe Patrick points this out as well). There's just no slam dunk, high core frequency WS option that doesn't also feel like you're overpaying for just-obsoleted tech.
This is all very true but having been burnt by cutting-edge, just-released platforms before, I usually won't touch anything that hasn't been out for a year. And unfortunately, I can't wait that long to replace my old workstation.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
This is all very true but having been burnt by cutting-edge, just-released platforms before, I usually won't touch anything that hasn't been out for a year. And unfortunately, I can't wait that long to replace my old workstation.
One more thing, Im also newish to the AMD WS/TR side so dont do what I did and impulse buy the (16 core) 5955WX before researching if it will support max memory channels, because I thought I read somewhere (maybe Level1Techs forums) that 32 cores was minimum for max channels, but I haven't time to research further. And I don't have a 32core to A/B test against.

That might have also been someone commenting with outdated assumption, meaning a limitation that might have existed with Zen1/2 TR, but improved on Zen3 with CCX/IMC architectural changes - I'm hazy there.

And then ofcourse decide if any memory performance delta will actually matter for your usage, at least enough to justify the +$2000 jump to a 32core $3299 5975WX. I'm staying put.

Edit: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5965WX Memory Scaling Benchmarks On Linux Review - Phoronix

Last edited:

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
One more thing, Im also newish to the AMD WS/TR side so dont do what I did and impulse buy the (16 core) 5955WX before researching if it will support max memory channels, because I thought I read somewhere (maybe Level1Techs forums) that 32 cores was minimum for max channels, but I haven't time to research further. And I don't have a 32core to A/B test against.

That might have also been someone commenting with outdated assumption, meaning a limitation that might have existed with Zen1/2 TR, but improved on Zen3 with CCX/IMC architectural changes - I'm hazy there.

And then ofcourse decide if any memory performance delta will actually matter for your usage, at least enough to justify the +$2000 jump to a 32core $3299 5975WX. I'm staying put.
I wasn't aware of this. I think they all support 8 memory channels. Are you perhaps talking about something like this on Epyc Rome? If so, I totally believe this article but have never been able to find a spec sheet where I could compare two parts and see the difference the article described.

BTW, which motherboard are you using with that 5955WX?

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I wanted an ASRock Creator to play with PBO, and maybe so does everyone else for same reason but they rarely appear on ebay, and maintain a $900 pricepoint new. Meanwhile half the price buys a secondhand/refurb ASUS Sage, with superior VRM config and BIOS options - so I went with that and put savings toward memory and storage.

For CPU cooler, Arctic Freezer 4U SP3 - very good and inexpensive but hard to get and seemingly always sold out. And by "4U", it means it, there's only 1mm to spare at the roof of my 4U case.
Nice! Makes sense to me. How noisy is the PCH fan on your ASUS Sage?

BTW, I hunted around for the memory channel thing you mentioned but haven't been able to find anything on it regarding TR Pro. When you get a chance, please check out my note in my previous response.

(I subsequently did find that the AMD specs for the Epyc Zen2 procs with 2 CCDs show 85 GB/s bandwidth vs 204 GB/s for the 4/8 CCD parts. Maybe something similar is in play for the TR Pro Zen3 procs with 2 CCDs. Epyc Zen3 apparently doesn't have this as no models have 2 CCDs.)

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
One more data point -- per this review, the test system with a TR Pro 5965WX (3.8 GHz 24C/48T) idled at 222W while the same system with the previous generation 3975WX (3.5 GHz 32C/64T) idled at 143W. That's really surprising!

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Please see my post for some additional power consumption numbers of 3/5975wx (bottom of the first message).
Thanks! I had seen your excellent build post but missed those tidbits at the bottom of the first post.

When you said ~120W without the PM1643a SSDs (and +80W after CPU replacement & memory overclocking), were both of those measurements taken with the GPU, Optane drives and the RAID controller installed?

clash

Feb 9, 2021
When you said ~120W without the PM1643a SSDs (and +80W after CPU replacement & memory overclocking), were both of those measurements taken with the GPU, Optane drives and the RAID controller installed?
I do not remember about raid controller exactly, but let me assume that it, RTX 3070 graphics, and optanes were in for that 120W test. BTW, one P5800X should eat about 3.3W at idle, i.e. three of them will drain ~10W. And RTX seems to eat 14W.

I just would like to comment that the article mentioned above provides, imho, quite high idle wattage. Probably, this is due to RTX 3080 involved.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I do not remember about raid controller exactly, but let me assume that it, RTX 3070 graphics, and optanes were in for that 120W test. BTW, one P5800X should eat about 3.3W at idle, i.e. three of them will drain ~10W. And RTX seems to eat 14W.

I just would like to comment that the article mentioned above provides, imho, quite high idle wattage. Probably, this is due to RTX 3080 involved.
Thank you! This is really helpful.

So subtracting roughly 25W, your 120W becomes 95W. That's really good the for 3975WX.

Can I assume similar equipment (besides the newer CPU & overclocked memory) for the 200W estimate? If so, the 5975WX setup is sitting at 175W. Definitely not as nice as 95W. :(

Per this article, RTX 3080 idle is around 15 W. That said, in searching for that information I saw lots of cases where users were apparently seeing much higher idle consumption, probably due to drivers and/or settings.

Anyway, it's interesting that both you and that review article both saw a roughly 80W difference between TR Pro Zen2 and Zen3.

clash

Feb 9, 2021
Also, please look here at 16:32 and listen here at >10:10. I.e., it can be mobo-dependent, and ~180W I would assume as a ceiling. I will be not surprised if you will see ~130W on 5955WX and that supermicro motherboard.

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
How noisy is the PCH fan on your ASUS Sage?
I bought a Workstation from german company "Mifcom" with the Asus Mobo, a water cooled 5965WX and RTX A2000 in a Fractal Meshify XL. When idling it's nearly inaudible. Only under heavy CPU load it becomes quite loud but then it's mostly the 3 fans on the radiator. Don't know how to get the PCH fan running faster?!

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I had no problems with a 1080ti on my h12ssl + win 11...
BTW, did you have to do anything special with TPM to get Win 11 working on H12SSL? I'm not sure if EPYC chips have fTPM or if a discrete TPM module is needed?