Threadripper Pro 5000 motherboard with PBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wilhelm

Aug 1, 2019
I read that Threadripper Pro 5000 chips are overclockable, but that most of the existing Threadripper motherboards don't support this feature. Does anyone know of a Threadripper motherboard with PBO?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think the threadripper pro user base is the wrong audience for overclocking (and therefore possibly unstable systems).
But I'm interested to see other opinions and mainboards that support that :D

(posted from a system with m12swa and a 3955wx :p)

Reactions: Pepe

Wilhelm

Aug 1, 2019
Now that there is no longer a midrange part, and given the lane limitations of ryzen desktop parts, I would disagree.

So far I have found that the MSI will support PBO but it might not be working yet, and the ASRock Creator already supports PBO but they removed Intel 10GbE and there doesnt seem to be any cards available for purchase.

The only card I can readily source is the ASUS, which looks great, but there does not seem to be any plans for it to support PBO. I assume there would be no issue using manual overclock with that however.

Last edited:

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
The thing is, the 7950x is so good that you have to really, really want those extra PCIe lanes to move to Threadripper. The CPU generates 24 PCIe lanes, all of which are at least PCIe 4.0 (actually, 20 of them are PCIe 5.0, but you can't get any peripherals yet), which is 48 PCIe 3.0 lanes worth of throughput. Your application needs to actually suffer a reduction in performance in order to justify a move to TR (not just "I feel bad because I'm not fully utilizing the lanes) - the platform is so expensive that if you have any older peripherals it's worth looking around for PCIe 4.0 versions with a narrower connection in order to make things fit in the consumer platform.

Once Genoa launches things will change - if Genoa TR Pro also has an unlocked multiplier the 16-core part will be a nice alternative to the 7950x, albeit at 2x the cost of entry, but right now you end up spending more to get less performance on a soon-to-be obsolete socket which is never a good situation to be in.

Wilhelm

Aug 1, 2019
The thing is, the 7950x is so good that you have to really, really want those extra PCIe lanes to move to Threadripper. The CPU generates 24 PCIe lanes, all of which are at least PCIe 4.0 (actually, 20 of them are PCIe 5.0, but you can't get any peripherals yet), which is 48 PCIe 3.0 lanes worth of throughput. Your application needs to actually suffer a reduction in performance in order to justify a move to TR (not just "I feel bad because I'm not fully utilizing the lanes) - the platform is so expensive that if you have any older peripherals it's worth looking around for PCIe 4.0 versions with a narrower connection in order to make things fit in the consumer platform.

Once Genoa launches things will change - if Genoa TR Pro also has an unlocked multiplier the 16-core part will be a nice alternative to the 7950x, albeit at 2x the cost of entry, but right now you end up spending more to get less performance on a soon-to-be obsolete socket which is never a good situation to be in.
The bandwidth of those lanes is high yes, however in practical terms its the number of physical lanes that is important. As soon as you plug a card in you lose lanes in the other slots, and there are only 2 16x slots on most of the x670 motherboards.

I have been looking at 7950x as an alternative, or waiting for next gen TR.

I like the flexibility of pci nvme cards and having multiple gfx cards for VMs.

The price of WRX80 motherboards is not much different from the high end x670e cards, and the price of 5955wx on newegg is not too bad compared to 7950x. I already have ECC DDR4-3200 from my 2x EPYC ZS1406E2VJUG5 server. Unfortunately the frequency of the ZS1406E2VJUG5 is too low even when OCd for some of my applications.