Thoughts on Ubiquiti Enterprise XG 24 switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
The time has come to replace my trusty but tired ICX6610 - I am putting in a Netgear MS510 TXUP for the POE & 802.3bt ports and was looking at multi-gig switches for the normal 1/10G ports

There was a time when I was looking at switches with RoCE etc - but I don't think I will go down that path

Has anyone used Ubiquiti's XG 24 Enterprise switch ? It has 24 ports of 1/2.5/5/10G and 2 ports of 25G SFP. What I am worried about is the fact that it NEEDS a UniFi console for adoption - or have I got that wrong? i.e. one can login to the switch itself and manage it without a UniFi console?

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
they are good, not too noisy.
Correct there is no onboard console, however you only need to run the unifi server when you want to make changes to the switch or log data. It will work perfectly fine without.
Otherwise they have an edge version of most switches which has onboard console. Just not this model ^^

tsteine

May 15, 2019
You can spin up a docker container which runs the unifi controller on demand whenever you need to adopt/make changes to the switch.
You could also install it as a .deb package on a debian/ubuntu VM.