Thoughts on Openflow at Home?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gerby

SREious Engineer
Apr 3, 2021
I've recently acquired an ICX7250 for the home lab and have long been intrigued by openflow; while writing ACLs this week I was struck by the duplication and have started looking at faucet.nz. I'd like to centralize and simplify switch configs and the YAML appeals to me; in addition to the 7250 I've got a proxmox box with openvswitch and a sg300 acting as an access switch for my entertainment center. I recognize the SG300 as a lost cause but it's flat access at this point and due for replacement with something that will feed POE to a second AP.

Has anyone here used faucet? What "gotchas" have you encountered? What hit (if any) do you experience on config changes? How does the ICX series handle controller failures; will change or outages of the controller raise pitchforks from other household members?

gerby

SREious Engineer
Apr 3, 2021
Following up here I've not implemented anything yet but research has brought this thread to my attention; hopefully it's helpful to others as well.