Thoughts on new TP-Link 10GBASE-T switches?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Michaelding313

May 18, 2021
Just saw a review pop up this week for a new TP-LINK 10G RJ45 switch.

TP-Link's product page:

Seems to be too new to have prices widely available, I can't seem to find a seller for that unit in North America.

There seems to also be a 8 port version:

Pricing seems to be around 450 (I think that's CAD, which is around 372USD at mid market rate today.. Amazing)

The 5 port unit is fanless, 8 port has a fan. Both switches are unmanaged :(

Too good to be true?
Maybe the march of technology finally delivering us cheap 10G copper switches?

Michaelding313

May 18, 2021
I think the $450 figure from Grand-n-toy is Canadian rubles, so 370 ish USD.

I haven't seem many people ise Zyxcel switches / never heard of that brand outside of some occasional cheap multi gig switches.
The XS1930-10 does look pretty amazing.

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
Huge difference between a fully silent switch and one that has a fan. I may give the 5-port model a try. My Trendnet TEG-7080ES is the loudest thing in my home office. I'm not using all 8-ports at the moment - just using 5 right now. If I needed more, I may just buy two of these switches. Wouldn't be as efficient at switching, but silence really is important.

Last edited:

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
So, I bought one yesterday at my local Central Computers, the TL-SX105 for $349 + tax.

Ran about 45 Gbps of traffic through it in both directions overnight. The switch got to about 110F, but held up. There was nothing on top. There were things underneath. I didn't attach the rubber feet yet, but will do so.

Just tried setting 9KB jumbo frames on 2 machines, and they work fine also. So, seems like a decent buy, if you can locate it. It's unobtainium online right now.

A pair them would get me back to 8 ports, though it won't perform as well as a single 8-port switch.

But the silence is really a huge deal. Noise in my office has dropped a lot. My TEG-7080ES is going up for sale.

Reactions: hackpcman