thoughts on m.2 -> 4 x sata adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arcadeperfect

Feb 6, 2021
Hi

Thinking of using a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F to build a super small footprint nas (custom enclosure). It has 6 x sata ports and 1 x pcie m.2 slot + 10gbe.

I could add another 6 sata ports with a device like this:

Thoughts on that idea? In theory 12 ssd's in raidz with 10gbe could be quite a nice little nas.

Then either boot from one of those or from another (proper) ssd connected to a usb port. Side thought - would I notice any performance drop if I booted from an internal usb 2 header rather than the rear usb 3 port?

Thanks

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Don’t do this with ZFS. Those ASM chip based SATA show often strange behaviour with ZFS. Why don’t you use a SAS HBA card which would you give +8 ports and use the M.2 for a decent NVME boot and system ssd?

arcadeperfect

Feb 6, 2021
I had a feeling something like that may be the case. Given that I'd probably have some spare sata ports in the case that I got a proper HBA, would it not be a bit wasteful to use 4 pcie lanes for the boot drive? Would it be worth using the NVME as L2ARC?

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Don’t go L2ARC, max out RAM instead. ARC in RAM is much more useful than L2ARC. Your X10SDV should do 4x32GB (128GB) RDIMM at least, that would give a decent ARC even for advanced homelabing.