This has probably been asked 1000 times but, can a desktop power supply be used on a server MB?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gatecrasher3

Feb 28, 2019
Hey guys, this my first build using server hardware, so please keep that in mind when ripping on me about my noob question lol.
At my job, I have been tasked with building an ESXi test system, and I would like to build into a tower case. My only question I'm unsure of is: can a regular desktop power supply be used on a server motherboard?

Here are the specs of the system I am looking at getting:
The Motherboard - Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H11DSi-NT
The PSU - CORSAIR HX Series HX1000 CP-9020139-NA 1000W Power Supply - Newegg.ca
The case - RAIJINTEK ASTERION SILVER PLUS, an Alu. E-ATX case, 4×USB 3.0, 3x12025 LED fan pre-installed, support 340mm VGA card, 180mm(H) CPU cooler, ATX/EPS PSU , Side-Opening Window Panel, Slim DVD drive bay - Newegg.ca

Now, I see each of the mobo and the PSU use a 24pin ATX connection, and two 8pin connections. However, I don't know if the pin placement is the same, and really don't want to just 'wing it', however I'm sure the plug would not even fit if there was an issue.

Anyways, if any of you guys could shed some light on this question, that would be super helpful.
Thank you.

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If the board has standard ATX 24 pin connector, the standard ATX power supply will work especially for single CPU boards. Dual CPU boards need 2 x 8 pin EPS connector but most desktop ones come with just one.
I don't know the others but supermicro has ATX power supplies that have dual 8pin EPS connectors.

Gatecrasher3

Feb 28, 2019
Well, I see the motherboard has a 24 pin connection, and two 8 pin. The PSU I linked has the same, Im just not sure if the pin placement is the same, and that the 8 pin connections of the PSU will work on the mobo.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
The board you linked uses standard power connections so the pinout will be fine. If you were ever really worried Supermicro usually includes a diagram of the pins in the manual that you could use to validate.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have used regular atx psu on 2 supermicro mb. No problem

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Well, I see the motherboard has a 24 pin connection, and two 8 pin. The PSU I linked has the same, Im just not sure if the pin placement is the same, and that the 8 pin connections of the PSU will work on the mobo.
Just make sure you use the 8 Pin EPS/ATX12v connectors and not the 8 pin PCIe connectors. On Corsair supplies they mark the ends "CPU" and "PCIe" respectively. If your supply doesn't come with two 8 pin CPU cables, you can get them separately from Corsair pretty economically.