Thinking of moving back to Win 8.1 pro for home server...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
I am currently running Server 2012 R2 Essentials, and it was my first ever server OS build.

Although fun and a learning process, I am not sure I really need this for my home server. It is also my first shot at running my home network as a domain, which I also doubt that I need for any reason.

My server is currently an Emby media server (similar to being a Plex server for those of you that don't know Emby), the backend for an HD Homerun DVR service, and houses around 10TB of movies, music, home videos and pictures.

It also currently runs as a DNS server and AD of course, just because it basically has to from what I can tell.
I dont really NEED AD or DNS.

So is there any reason to run Server 2012 vs changing over to Win 8.1 pro? I do use ReFS for the data drives, because I wanted the error checking and bit rot protection of that new system but Win 8.1 pro supports this already as well.

I do want to still be able to use Remote desktop for this headless server, but I believe Win 8.1 pro supports this just the same as Server 2012 does.

Anything else that I might be missing out on that I am not thinking about?

My main reason to change would be just that the server is doing things I dont need it to, like the aforementioned DNS and AD, that those services take up half a gig of ram and a few CPU cycles I believe. Probably inconsequential in the long run, though.

Thoughts?

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Why not remove those roles from it and keep using it as is? I have been running server OSes for my desktop since 2008 came out and am currently on 2012 R2. A good starting point to spruce up 2012 R2 to act as a workstation would be here: Convert your Windows Server 2012 to a Workstation!

I get everything a desktop OS has and more and utilize it for gaming as well. Just my $0.02...

Reactions: neo

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
There are pluses and minuses to having a server at home. with essentials I primarily use it to remote into my home.

AD and DNS on the server are not always needed since your home router usually handles that function. Since I do several VM's I have my machine connected to the domain and my test stuff in the domain. but the rest of my stuff in the house (laptops, tablets, wife's computer) is not connected to the domain.

You can just remove the role(s).

in my case I had so many issues getting plex to install and work on server. I just created a Win8.1 (now 10) VM to handle Plex.

Chris

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
in my case I had so many issues getting plex to install and work on server. I just created a Win8.1 (now 10) VM to handle Plex.

Chris
What issues did you run across as I have plex running on a 2012 R2 VM happily as a service.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Why not remove those roles from it and keep using it as is? I have been running server OSes for my desktop since 2008 came out and am currently on 2012 R2. A good starting point to spruce up 2012 R2 to act as a workstation would be here: Convert your Windows Server 2012 to a Workstation!

I get everything a desktop OS has and more and utilize it for gaming as well. Just my $0.02...

Cool thanks for the link. I will just remove DNS and maybe AD for now and see if I like that result.

I will probably be blowing out the server and starting from scratch since Supermicro finally got back to me about a beta bios to enable m.2 drive boot support, so I will try a new Samsumg SM951 drive.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I was trying to run essentials as well as plex on the same server... IIS and web service issues.

it was much easier to move essentials to a VM and add a new VM to the server.

Chris