Thin/Zero Client for RDP w/Video Streaming

Discussion in 'Windows Server, Hyper-V Virtualization' started by IamSpartacus, Jul 10, 2019.

1. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Well-Known Member

Looking for a recommendation for a decent Thin/Zero client that will just be used to RDP into a Windows 10 VM for web browsing and 1080p video streaming. Needs to be able to output 4K resolution (just for the desktop space, not 4K video streaming). Is there anything out there that can do video streaming without lag?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. maze

maze Active Member

Looked into dell wyse units?

We used the 3040 at my old job for a lot of clients.. worked well for video aswell iirc

IamSpartacus likes this.
  3. IamSpartacus

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks kind of ideal. Might pick up a used one a test it.

4. zack$

zack$ Active Member

Just curious..is there a gpu passthru to the VM?

Reason being is that I use NVIDIA's gamestream protocol through moonlight as a RDP replacement. Couldn't get RDP to utilise the gpu screen on the VM.

5. IamSpartacus

Does gamestream work for non gaming and which GPUs support it? The purpose of this VM is just a daily driver PC (ie. web browsing, youtube, etc.).

6. zack$

zack$ Active Member

Yup..gamestream can do "remote desktop" through moonlight.. support is for all gamestream supported gtx Nvidia card.

See "using your moonlight to stream your entire desktop": moonlight-stream/moonlight-docs

Gtx cards supported: System Requirements for NVIDIA GeForce Experience | GeForce | GeForce

Getting an old supported gtx, passthru through gamestream can give you "remote desktop" sessions with very low latency.

Edit: you will of course need a ghost dongle as gtx's require attached monitor and the usual hacks for gtx passthru.

7. IamSpartacus

Very nice. The main problem for me is I only have room for a single slot card and I dont think any of the GTX cards are single slot.

Also what device do you use on the client side to stream your desktop to?

8. zack$

zack$ Active Member

There are tons of single slot: Best Single Slot Graphics Card for Gaming & Work in 2019

I use a Galax katana 1070 so I can do remote gaming as well :D and it's pretty decent. With the updated Ray tracing for the 1070 I can even play the Quake II Ray tracing edition at low resolution.

I use a Dell 7480 laptop over WiFi.

Requirements are so low, you can even use an Android phone with keyboard and mouse attached and get really good streaming of games/desktop:

9. IamSpartacus

Awesome! I have a Surface Pro 3 I could use. I just need to pickup a dock for it so I can output to both my Dell 38" Ultrawide monitor and 50" 4K TV. I dont really need a gaming card, just something that can do 1080p YouTube. Gaming wouldnt be great on my Xeon E5-2680v3 as it's only 2.5GHz.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019 at 9:39 AM