Thermal throttling (?) with 2xQL2M (Xeon 8160 ES) on X11DPH-T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Edwin812

Mar 24, 2021
Finally I did buy 2x QL1K. Both of them are running good.
But no luck when mix with QL2M. I think it should be my mother X11DPFR-SN v1.01 has no metal retention clip.

When mixing QL1K with QL2M, QL1K are running good on normal speed. But QL2M won't go above 700MHz.
Even I have disable the temperature threshold. It keep 103c and the fan running in maximum speed.

zigi

Mar 2, 2021
EU
Hello.
Anybody find solution for these issue?

I have X11DPH-I rev 1.01 with two XEONs QN3E (detected as Platinum 8160F) and same problem. CPU 0 works great but CPU1 works at 700MHz. CPU1 shows CPU Package temp 92C, all cores has around 40C.
Same situation with bios 2.1 and 3.4a, change cpus between sockets does not change situation.
Sockets on mainboard has metal retention clips.

Any advice? or i have to change CPUs?

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hello.
Anybody find solution for these issue?

I have X11DPH-I rev 1.01 with two XEONs QN3E (detected as Platinum 8160F) and same problem. CPU 0 works great but CPU1 works at 700MHz. CPU1 shows CPU Package temp 92C, all cores has around 40C.
Same situation with bios 2.1 and 3.4a, change cpus between sockets does not change situation.
Sockets on mainboard has metal retention clips.

Any advice? or i have to change CPUs?
Hi,

Do both sockets have the metal retention clip?

If so, the only solution I can think of is swapping the QN3E in the socket CPU 1 for an 8160 QS or retail and keep the other one in the CPU0. For some reason, the motherboard won't take two CPUs with omni path fabric.

Cheers

zigi

Mar 2, 2021
EU
Hi tesla100
Thank you for reply.
My motherboard looks exactly like on the photo in reply #37 on second page.
Damn Supermicro, they should do something about these issue

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
My motherboard looks exactly like on the photo in reply #37 on second page.
In that case, what you are experiencing is expected behavior.

If your motherboard doesn't have a metal retention clip on the CPU 2 socket, it won't take the omni path Xeons in that socket.

It's not Supermicro's fault. Not to mention that the omni path xeons are not supported since many years ago now.

The only thing you can do is what I suggested in my previous message. Return one of the QN3Es and buy one 8160 QS or retail (without the omni path fabric) and insert it in the CPU1 socket (the one without the metal retention clip).

Cheers