The Versatile SAS3008 Chipset: My Vendor Crossflashing Adventures

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hello @Sleyk I'm having some problems with my couple of p400i on it mode (flashed them using your files and instructions with no issues)

I have them with 28x ST4000NM0043 (12+16) connected, and they worked flawlessly when the cards was on ir mode, but after flashing to it mode all the drives are detected and shown, but have access issues.

I'm thinking about to reflash them back to ir mode, but would love to keep them on it mode, what do you think is the matter here?

(thanks for all your help)

Edit:
I did try to flash it back to ir with

sas3flash.efi -o -e 6
sas3flash.efi -o -f SAS9311_8i_IR.bin -b mptsas3.ROM

but it gives an Id error
View attachment 23083

"megarec3 -cleanflash 0" doesn't work anymore (stuck in "chip is in fusion mode")
Hey there, so when going from IT to IR mode, I always suggest doing a full complete erase.

I would use the complete erase command to clear the nvram, exposing the raw chipset. Then try to flash to IR mode again.

So: sas3flash.efi -o -e 7

Then reflash the 9311-8i IR mode firmware

Reactions: nihonjin

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
@Sleyk I have a Fujitsu CP400i, and grabbed all the files from your download, used Rufus to create a FreeDOS disk, copied everything over, and started following the instructions.

As expected, sas3flsh can't see the adapter at all, but megacli -adpallinfo lists the details about the adapter. Whenever I try to do anything with megarec3, I get the following message and the system hangs, with only rebooting getting out of it (Ctrl-Alt-Del works):

Chip is in FUSION mode

Note that to get megarec3 to do anything at all, I had to download DOS4GW.EXE and put it on the USB boot disk. Are there other files in your "standard flash USB" that I am missing that megarec3 needs to run correctly? Or, is it something else?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
@Sleyk I have a Fujitsu CP400i, and grabbed all the files from your download, used Rufus to create a FreeDOS disk, copied everything over, and started following the instructions.

As expected, sas3flsh can't see the adapter at all, but megacli -adpallinfo lists the details about the adapter. Whenever I try to do anything with megarec3, I get the following message and the system hangs, with only rebooting getting out of it (Ctrl-Alt-Del works):

Chip is in FUSION mode

Note that to get megarec3 to do anything at all, I had to download DOS4GW.EXE and put it on the USB boot disk. Are there other files in your "standard flash USB" that I am missing that megarec3 needs to run correctly? Or, is it something else?
Hmm, I think should be all the files you need. When I get a moment, I will update the flash drive. I have that file in my own USB, and that is what I used to upload the files here, so not sure how it didn't upload to the flash folder. But no worries, I think you should be good.

However, if you run into a system locking issue, then it means that your system probably doesn't like Megarec3. Sometimes it can happen with newer boards. Can you try the flash on an older system if you have a spare? Usually that does the trick.

Reactions: nabsltd

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
However, if you run into a system locking issue, then it means that your system probably doesn't like Megarec3. Sometimes it can happen with newer boards. Can you try the flash on an older system if you have a spare?
That was the issue.

megarec3 failed on an X11 board, even with everything in the BIOS set to "Legacy", but an X9 board worked fine.

Reactions: vovanx