The Versatile SAS3008 Chipset: My Vendor Crossflashing Adventures

Sleyk

Your Friendly Knowledgable Helper and Techlover!
Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hello Sleyk, thank you for documenting your experiences and providing all of this information.

I successfully cross-flashed IBM ServeRAID M1210 to Avago 9300-4i IT mode.

There's no J6 header soldered on the M1210 although the vias exist.
I would caution anyone who wants to flash this card: do not add a jumper or bridge the vias as this will fry your card.
You can perform megarec3.exe and sas3flash.efi operations without the J6 jumper.

Best wishes on your continued adventures.
You're welcome! and thanks for that bit of info. Glad to know the IBM1210 can flash as well. They seem hard to find, and a few blood-suckers have them listed on eBay for like $200 bucks, lol.

zyzy

Feb 28, 2022
Guys,

first of all I want to say that this thread is super helpful, thank you Sleyk and all the others.

I have a Fujitsu server with PRAID CP400i card in it with latest Fujitsu IR firmware.
But as I came to understand it can't be put in true HBA mode with this IR firmware (hope I'm not wrong here), and since I want to use it with TrueNAS Scale, i need true HBA, not some Fujitsu JBOD half HBA solution that this IR firmware offers.
I also saw on Fujitsu website that they sell card branded as PSAS CP400i which is absolutely same card with different firmware(IT). As I saw on Fujitsu support website I think this firmware could be original LSI firmware but not sure.

My question is since I use original Fujitsu RX1330 M3 server, should I flash Fujitsu PSAS CP400i firmware or latest LSI firmware?
Will LSI have same support working in my Fujitsu server?
Do i need to change SBR at all?
How do I backup my current PRAID(IR) firmware and card info so I could revert back to it if anything goes wrong or I wish to use hardware RAID in future?

Btw. I tried flashing PSAS firmware over PRAID one with Fujitsu tool but it doesn't let me do it that way, so I will have to use procedure as described in this thread.

BR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleyk

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Guys,

first of all I want to say that this thread is super helpful, thank you Sleyk and all the others.

I have a Fujitsu server with PRAID CP400i card in it with latest Fujitsu IR firmware.
But as I came to understand it can't be put in true HBA mode with this IR firmware (hope I'm not wrong here), and since I want to use it with TrueNAS Scale, i need true HBA, not some Fujitsu JBOD half HBA solution that this IR firmware offers.
I also saw on Fujitsu website that they sell card branded as PSAS CP400i which is absolutely same card with different firmware(IT). As I saw on Fujitsu support website I think this firmware could be original LSI firmware but not sure.

My question is since I use original Fujitsu RX1330 M3 server, should I flash Fujitsu PSAS CP400i firmware or latest LSI firmware?
Will LSI have same support working in my Fujitsu server?
Do i need to change SBR at all?
How do I backup my current PRAID(IR) firmware and card info so I could revert back to it if anything goes wrong or I wish to use hardware RAID in future?

Btw. I tried flashing PSAS firmware over PRAID one with Fujitsu tool but it doesn't let me do it that way, so I will have to use procedure as described in this thread.

BR.
Hey there, so the Fujitsu IR firmware is essentially It mode with some software RAID functions. It will basically still let you passthrough all your drives to Truenas core no problem.

That said, you can convert to a LSI 9300-8i. Just follow the same steps in the thread. To backup your card's sbr, use megarec3 and type:

megarec3 -readsbr 0 CP400i.sbr

and that will save the sbr.

I dont forsee you getting any problems, since the Fujitsu is a E3- v6 server, so it is well familiar with 3rd gen controllers. The Fujitsu server should recognize the card now using LSI firmware with no issues, and of course, Truenas as well :)

Reactions: zyzy

zyzy

Feb 28, 2022
Hey there, so the Fujitsu IR firmware is essentially It mode with some software RAID functions. It will basically still let you passthrough all your drives to Truenas core no problem.

That said, you can convert to a LSI 9300-8i. Just follow the same steps in the thread. To backup your card's sbr, use megarec3 and type:

megarec3 -readsbr 0 CP400i.sbr

and that will save the sbr.

I dont forsee you getting any problems, since the Fujitsu is a E3- v6 server, so it is well familiar with 3rd gen controllers. The Fujitsu server should recognize the card now using LSI firmware with no issues, and of course, Truenas as well :)
Thanks, one question though,

about Fujitsu PRAID 400i pass through option,
is it real HBA or just some different kind of pass through?

My problem is little specific, since most of members here bought their cards, and I got it in original server, so I did flash LSI firmware,
all is working except:
1. Can't see controller options and sensor data in iRMC S4(Fujitsu IPMI tool) and
2. My fan speed is a higher with non Fujitsu controller card firmware(would be better if it isn't). For no reason, temperatures are same.

I think if I would have PSAS cp400i or any PSAS cp40Xi sbr, my Fujitsu server would get the readings in iRMC and lower the fan speed.
Does anyone have any PSAS sbrs? Not PRAID ones.

Last edited:

CHARLYE42

Jun 10, 2021
Hello everyone.
I've tried flashing the controller again and now I'm using a Z370, and no way.
In short, the controller is not recognized, and I cannot continue with the following commands, since I cannot write the "sleyksbr.bin" and I cannot "cleanflash".
IMG-20210614-190128 — ImgBB (ibb.co)
I have followed the whole process post # 102, and neither.
I don't know what to do anymore, I'll try to get a server, and if not I'll leave it saved.

On the other hand, can you tell me if this cable will work for this IBM LSI 92124i4e controller and for a WD ULTRASTAR Dc ss530 sas ssd drive?

Cablecc SFF-8482 SAS 29 Pin a 7 cable de la incursión de disco duro SATA del Pin con el puerto de alimentación de 15 pines SATA : Amazon.es: Informática

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:

JanCerny

Nov 25, 2017
Czech Republic
Here is my latest package for Fujitsu D3307 PRAID CP400i card.

@BLinux Are you The Art of Server guy? I wonder if you have time to do some tests. You have the Supermicro controllers on your eBay store with older firmware.

Code:
sas3flash.exe -list
Avago Technologies SAS3 Flash Utility
Version 17.00.00.00 (2018.04.02)
Copyright 2008-2018 Avago Technologies. All rights reserved.

Adapter Selected is a Avago SAS: SAS3008(C0)

Controller Number              : 0
        Controller                     : SAS3008(C0)
        PCI Address                    : 00:02:00:00
        SAS Address                    : 5003005-x-xxxx-xxxx
        NVDATA Version (Default)       : 0e.01.00.07
        NVDATA Version (Persistent)    : 0e.01.00.07
        Firmware Product ID            : 0x2221 (IT)
        Firmware Version               : 16.00.12.00
        NVDATA Vendor                  : LSI
        NVDATA Product ID              : SAS9300-8i
        BIOS Version                   : 08.37.02.00
        UEFI BSD Version               : 18.00.00.00
        FCODE Version                  : N/A
        Board Name                     : SAS9300-8i
        Board Assembly                 : N/A
        Board Tracer Number            : 00000000xxxxxxxx

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
        Exiting SAS3Flash.
Requied/attached files:
Code:
MegaCLI.exe     8.07.14         SAS MegaRAID MegaCLI 01/20/2014
DOS4GW.EXE                      https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX-e66fc5b245bb48b59341da62f6
megarec3.exe    01.02-020       08/04/2015
sas3flsh.exe    17.00.00.00     SAS3FLSH DOS 04/02/2018
sas3flash.exe   17.00.00.00     SAS3FLSH Win x64 04/02/2018
sas3flash.efi   17.00.00.00     SAS3FLSH EFI 04/02/2018
93008iIT.bin    16.00.12.00     TrueNAS SATA hotfix firmware 06/08/2020 https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/lsi-9300-xx-firmware-update.145/
mptsas3.rom     8.37.02.00      Legacy BIOS (Sleyk) 03/02/2020
mpt3x64.rom     18.00.00.00     UEFI BSD MS sign keys 04/04/2017
sleyksbr.bin                    Sleyk's LSI 9300-8i SBR file

Attachments

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
Hello, i'm not looking to crossflash, just update the firmware of my LSI SAS9300-8i card. Instead of spending hours searching in threads i just wanted to confirm if this is the right download for my card?

/docs/9300_8i_Package_P16_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip_p

There seem to be UEFI stuff in there now as well.. is there something i need to know before slapping sas3flsh.exe onto a Drdos USB stick and blow up my card, because i didn't ask first? :)

Edit: N/M, i decided to just flash first and ask questions later :) everything fine, the adapter was already latest P16

Last edited:

Aysberg

Nov 3, 2018
@JanCerny @Sleyk Thanks for the files, today I flashed my PSAS CP400i to SAS9300-8i in IT mode.

But I have a small question, I got two 3008 based cards, the CP400i and a LSI SAS3008, both flashed with the same files now. But on post boot, only the ex CP400i shows the Avago Configuration Utility and starting this only this card is listed. Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

I think the SAS9300 never did show this option in post. But shouldn't both cards be listed?

Code:
D:\lsi_win>sas3flash.exe -c 0 -list -o

Advanced Mode Set

PCI Address                    : 00:09:00:00
        SAS Address                    : 500605b-x-xxxx-xxxx
        Board Assembly                 : H3-25573-00G
        Board Tracer Number            : xxxxxxxxxx

Exiting SAS3Flash.

D:\lsi_win>sas3flash.exe -c 1 -list -o

Advanced Mode Set

Controller Number              : 1
        PCI Address                    : 00:06:00:00
        Board Assembly                 : D3327-A100
        Board Tracer Number            : xxxxxxxx

Exiting SAS3Flash.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
@JanCerny @Sleyk Thanks for the files, today I flashed my PSAS CP400i to SAS9300-8i in IT mode.

But I have a small question, I got two 3008 based cards, the CP400i and a LSI SAS3008, both flashed with the same files now. But on post boot, only the ex CP400i shows the Avago Configuration Utility and starting this only this card is listed. Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

I think the SAS9300 never did show this option in post. But shouldn't both cards be listed?

Code:
D:\lsi_win>sas3flash.exe -c 0 -list -o

Advanced Mode Set

PCI Address                    : 00:09:00:00
        SAS Address                    : 500605b-x-xxxx-xxxx
        Board Assembly                 : H3-25573-00G
        Board Tracer Number            : xxxxxxxxxx

Exiting SAS3Flash.

D:\lsi_win>sas3flash.exe -c 1 -list -o

Advanced Mode Set

Controller Number              : 1
        PCI Address                    : 00:06:00:00
        Board Assembly                 : D3327-A100
        Board Tracer Number            : xxxxxxxx

Exiting SAS3Flash.
Sometimes the mptbios boot screen won't show both cards. It depends though. It happens with my test bench from time to time too.

Sometimes I can see both of my AOC-S3008L cards in two separate slots show up in post, other times, the Avago bios only shows one of them.

Usually, if you ctrl+c into the Avago bios, it will usually show up there and let you see and configure both cards separately with staggered spin up/boot drives, etc.

So meh, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you can do a "-list" command and see both cards in sas3flash, youre ok :.)

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hello everyone.
I've tried flashing the controller again and now I'm using a Z370, and no way.
In short, the controller is not recognized, and I cannot continue with the following commands, since I cannot write the "sleyksbr.bin" and I cannot "cleanflash".
IMG-20210614-190128 — ImgBB (ibb.co)
I have followed the whole process post # 102, and neither.
I don't know what to do anymore, I'll try to get a server, and if not I'll leave it saved.

On the other hand, can you tell me if this cable will work for this IBM LSI 92124i4e controller and for a WD ULTRASTAR Dc ss530 sas ssd drive?

Cablecc SFF-8482 SAS 29 Pin a 7 cable de la incursión de disco duro SATA del Pin con el puerto de alimentación de 15 pines SATA : Amazon.es: Informática

Thank you very much for your help.
Hmm. Technically, the 92124i4e has SATA ports, but the card itself is powered by a SAS chipset. I think it may very well work. I think it's cheap enough to give it a try.

Remember, SATA is a subset of SAS. You cant go from SATA to SAS, but you can surely go from SAS to SATA. So it should detect the SAS drive once connected :.)

As for the Fujitsu card, I would try another system to flash on if you can. I usually recommend a simpler system, but I know sometimes you may not have one available. The Z370 chipset may not like the flash, or what you can do, is try legacy flashing vs uefi flashing. Perhaps that might be key.

vovanx

Oct 3, 2021
Hi all, FYI there is at least one Fujitsu CP400i firmware version that allows a direct disk access (JBOD): 03.25.05.10

if you have Secure Boot disabled:

reboot server, wait until "press Ctrl+R" message from RAID controller appears on the screen, and press Ctrl+R.
delete all virtual drives on the main page "VD Mgmt" (I hope you understand that it will destroy all your data)
open third page "Ctrl Mgmt" and tick the box "Enable JBOD"
open second page "PD Mgmt" and press F2 on every disk, and choose "Make JBOD"
reboot, enjoy direct access to hard drives

if you have Secure Boot enabled:

reboot server, open BIOS, go to Advanced and look for "AVAGO MegaRAID <PRAID CP400i> Configuration" at the bottom of the list.
open it, go to Main Menu -> Controller Management -> Advanced Controller Properties -> JBOD Mode -> make it "Enabled"
then go back and delete the virtual drive (I hope you understand that it will destroy all your data) and make all physical disks as JBOD in Main Menu -> Drive Management
reboot, enjoy direct access to hard drives :)

(if anyone knows how I could dump the firmware from the controller then I could share it)
Hi all,

I've found an extremely inconvenient issue with Fujitsu CP400i stock firmware: all new inserted drives initialize as "available for RAID" mode by default instead of the "JBOD" mode as I've set manually to all other drives. And the "available for RAID" mode makes the drive invisible to the operating system, so I could not simply assign the new drive to the software RAID.
So this issue makes the controller unusable for the software RAID "in production", because if one hard drive fails, I could not simply insert a new hot-swap drive and rebuild the software raid, I have to shutdown the OS and reboot the server instead - to enter the RAID controller BIOS and set the new drive mode as JBOD instead of "available for RAID". It is impossible to set the JBOD mode for the drives via IPMI SSH console or IRMC web panel.

EDIT: Lol I've just realized that's the difference between the "IR" and "IT" modes of the firmware.

Does anyone know how to make the stock Fujitsu "IR" firmware automatically initialize all new drives as JBOD without reflashing?
Did anyone have a positive experience with flashing CP430i firmware to the PRAID CP400i?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

xukaiteo

May 15, 2022
I am having some issues with crossflashing my Fujitsu CP400i.

I have followed the guide in this thread up till clearing the flash using megarec3 but I keep getting ERROR: Firmware Host Boot Failed! and the Fault Code is 1801 when I try to flash the firmware using sas3flsh

I have tried different versions of the tools and firmware versions including the one provided by @Sleyk and @JanCerny but none of them seems to work. I have also tried using DOS and EFI versions of SAS3Flash but all of them give me the same errors.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue and is willing to point me to the right direction to solve it?

Attachments

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I am having some issues with crossflashing my Fujitsu CP400i.

I have followed the guide in this thread up till clearing the flash using megarec3 but I keep getting ERROR: Firmware Host Boot Failed! and the Fault Code is 1801 when I try to flash the firmware using sas3flsh

I have tried different versions of the tools and firmware versions including the one provided by @Sleyk and @JanCerny but none of them seems to work. I have also tried using DOS and EFI versions of SAS3Flash but all of them give me the same errors.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue and is willing to point me to the right direction to solve it?
Hi there,

If the hostboot fails, that means the sbr probably wasnt written properly. Try to go back to dos, and use megarec3 to write the sbr again.

megarec3 -writesbr 0 sbrfilename (filename of SBR)

and then do a cleanflash again:

megarec3 -cleanflash 0

then reboot, and then try to flash the 9300 IT mode firmware one more time. Let me know if this works

xukaiteo

May 15, 2022
Hi there,

If the hostboot fails, that means the sbr probably wasnt written properly. Try to go back to dos, and use megarec3 to write the sbr again.

megarec3 -writesbr 0 sbrfilename (filename of SBR)

and then do a cleanflash again:

megarec3 -cleanflash 0

then reboot, and then try to flash the 9300 IT mode firmware one more time. Let me know if this works
I have tried to rewrite the SBR you provided (sleyksbr.bin) and cleanflash it again but the issue persists with the same error. Is there a way to check to see if the SBR was written successfully? Both commands you provided outputted that they ran successfully.

Edit: I have tried to dump the SBR after writing it and compared the hash of both of the dumped file and sleyksbr.bin. Both returned the same hash which means that the SBR was likely written to the card successfully.

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I have tried to rewrite the SBR you provided (sleyksbr.bin) and cleanflash it again but the issue persists with the same error. Is there a way to check to see if the SBR was written successfully? Both commands you provided outputted that they ran successfully.

Edit: I have tried to dump the SBR after writing it and compared the hash of both of the dumped file and sleyksbr.bin. Both returned the same hash which means that the SBR was likely written to the card successfully.
Hmm. Ok, then let's do this. Let's do a full erase of the flash, but this time, in sas3flash.

So type: sas3flash.efi -o -e 7 (this will erase everything)

Then reboot and try to flash the IT mode firmware again. Also, try to rename the 9300 firmware to just "9300.bin". Sometimes the Fujitsu cards play hard to get sometimes, and won't flash the first few times. I've had a few that did this as well.

Hopefully this time it takes :.)

xukaiteo

May 15, 2022
Hmm. Ok, then let's do this. Let's do a full erase of the flash, but this time, in sas3flash.

So type: sas3flash.efi -o -e 7 (this will erase everything)

Then reboot and try to flash the IT mode firmware again. Also, try to rename the 9300 firmware to just "9300.bin". Sometimes the Fujitsu cards play hard to get sometimes, and won't flash the first few times. I've had a few that did this as well.

Hopefully this time it takes :.)
Using sas3flash asks for a firmware file and gives the same error when I provided it with the firmware filename

Here are the steps I took so far

1) Boot into DOS
2) megarec3 -writesbr 0 sleyksbr.bin
3) Boot into EFI Shell
4) sas3flash.efi -o -e 7
4.1) Provided "9300.bin"
5) Output was shown in the attached picture which was basically the same error as before

Attachments

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Using sas3flash asks for a firmware file and gives the same error when I provided it with the firmware filename

Here are the steps I took so far

1) Boot into DOS
2) megarec3 -writesbr 0 sleyksbr.bin
3) Boot into EFI Shell
4) sas3flash.efi -o -e 7
4.1) Provided "9300.bin"
5) Output was shown in the attached picture which was basically the same error as before
Ok, then let's try an older firmware version, then if that takes, then you can upgrade to the newer one.

I attached a copy of the P15 firmware version. Unzip and try that one to see if that one takes.

Do the same steps as before, and then flash with this older version, then upgrade once done :.)

Attachments

xukaiteo

May 15, 2022
Ok, then let's try an older firmware version, then if that takes, then you can upgrade to the newer one.

I attached a copy of the P15 firmware version. Unzip and try that one to see if that one takes.

Do the same steps as before, and then flash with this older version, then upgrade once done :.)
I have just used the older firmware that you have provided but the issue with the same error persists. I have also tried flashing the card on another machine, though on a Asus TUF "gaming" motherboard, and it also didn't work. Perhaps I am missing a very important step somewhere. Do I need to do anything to the card physically such as taping the PCI-E pins? For reference, here is a picture of my card.

Thank you so much for you help so far!

Edit: I have also attached the output of megacli -adpallinfo -a0 . By any chance do you have the firmware for the CP400i? See if I can use the stock firmware to restore the card back to stock and try again.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I have just used the older firmware that you have provided but the issue with the same error persists. I have also tried flashing the card on another machine, though on a Asus TUF "gaming" motherboard, and it also didn't work. Perhaps I am missing a very important step somewhere. Do I need to do anything to the card physically such as taping the PCI-E pins? For reference, here is a picture of my card.

Thank you so much for you help so far!

Edit: I have also attached the output of megacli -adpallinfo -a0 . By any chance do you have the firmware for the CP400i? See if I can use the stock firmware to restore the card back to stock and try again.
Ok, PM sent.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Hello @Sleyk I'm having some problems with my couple of p400i on it mode (flashed them using your files and instructions with no issues)

I have them with 28x ST4000NM0043 (12+16) connected, and they worked flawlessly when the cards was on ir mode, but after flashing to it mode all the drives are detected and shown, but have access issues.

I'm thinking about to reflash them back to ir mode, but would love to keep them on it mode, what do you think is the matter here?

(thanks for all your help)

Edit:
I did try to flash it back to ir with

sas3flash.efi -o -e 6
sas3flash.efi -o -f SAS9311_8i_IR.bin -b mptsas3.ROM

but it gives an Id error
22z547J.jpg

"megarec3 -cleanflash 0" doesn't work anymore (stuck in "chip is in fusion mode")

Last edited: