The Supermicro H11SSL-I Rev. 2 issues thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WhosTheBosch

Dec 20, 2016
I bought a Supermicro motherboard for my server build and it's awesome. I'd recommend updating to the latest BIOS each time they're released - even if they always suggest you shouldn't unless somethings broken. My experience with the X11SPM-TF has been that the BIOS updates have made life much, much easier. A few things in general, with the caveat that they may only affect the Xeon scalable motherboards.

• Try setting boot to use UEFI, newer OS's should fully support this - if you do then disable CSM mode from the BIOS (edit: CSM was found in my security settings for some reason, took me a while to find)
  • As others have said try cards in different slots
  • If you don't need the full bandwidth of the slot, try changing it in BIOS as that could help
  • The "option ROM" items in the BIOS can cause problems sometimes, disable these as needed - but NOT the video one
  • Update the BMC firmware as well it's separate from the BIOS firmware
  • When updating BIOS / BMC firmware ALWAYS reset them to stock yourself, save, reboot as that helps ensure they're properly setup
  • Note that the BMC fimrware won't keep track of your serial number etc in the hardware page as you need to not delete a certain part when loading a new BMC but I chose to delete it as well to make sure it worked correctly
  • When creating install media for UEFI mode always choose GPT and DD mode not ISO mode as this doesn't always work when booting
  • The slow startup you're seeing is the CPU startup, you may see a number in the bottom right being cycled through and this is the step of booting, note that AD means it's ready for the OS to load - you can also search for AMI POST codes to have an idea of what they're doing
  • If you don't have another computer in the house then the usefulness of the BMC is limited, but it's saved me a number of times being able to use everything remotely, so before you put away the workstation you may want to make a plan for what you need to do to use the BMC remotely
As I just did this, I had the instructions that worked for my BMC fan control. Note that you should search for the specs of your own fans first, then edit as needed. Unfortunately, this has to be done each time the BMC is upgraded.

BMC Update:
  1. Update BMC
  2. Reset to Factory settings
  3. Reset BMC
  4. Change fan thresholds
  5. Shutdown server
  6. Reset BMC
  7. Boot server
Code:
Noctua NF-A9X14-PWM
Rotational speed (+/- 10%)
2200 RPM

ipmitool sensor thresh "*sensor name*" upper *unc* *ucr* *unr*
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN1" upper 2100 2200 2400

Min. rotational speed (PWM, +/-20%)
500 RPM

ipmitool sensor thresh "*sensor name*" lower *lnr* *lcr* *lnc*
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN1" lower 400 500 600

Noctua NF-S12A PWM

1200 1200 1300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN2" upper 1200 1200 1300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN3" upper 1200 1200 1300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN4" upper 1200 1200 1300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN5" upper 1200 1200 1300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN6" upper 1200 1200 1300

300 300 200
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN2" lower 200 300 300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN3" lower 200 300 300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN4" lower 200 300 300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN5" lower 200 300 300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN6" lower 200 300 300

NF-A14 PWM

1500 1500 1650
ipmitool sensor thresh "FANA" upper 1500 1500 1650
ipmitool sensor thresh "FANB" upper 1500 1500 1650

300 300 200
ipmitool sensor thresh "FANA" lower 200 300 300
ipmitool sensor thresh "FANB" lower 200 300 300

Last edited:
Reactions: nasbdh9

vincococka

Sep 29, 2019
Slovakia
Hi all,

been using H11SSL-i rev.2.0 board with BIOS 2.1 and IPMI 1.52 - no issues at all.
Board boots faster than my X11SSH / X11SSM workstations and Windows 2019 ISO (updated March 2020) installed without any problem.
Loud fans can be made more quiet with ipmitool from any Linux (or alternatively with Supermicro utility as mentioned previously).
CPU temperature of AMD EPYC Rome 7262 is fine - using Noctua nh-u9-tr4-sp3 (smallest one from all three available coolers).
During sustained load CPUs are usually between 50-55 deg C (while running Folding@home).

What i observed is some strange behaviour with Kingston DDR4/ECC Reg 16GB 3200MHz sticks.
While I tried to underclock them to e.g. 2400/2667/2933 MHz, the board management reported subsequent memory checksum errors on some sticks and OS refuses to load resulting in system reboot. Been consulting this issue with Kingston but they said that I need to send them faulty sticks if I want them to RMA those faulty sticks.

Also using nVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 in PCI-E CPU SLOT 6 (nearest to the CPU), and everything works fine - as expected.

Wishing all the best - stay safe and healthy not only in your labs :),
Vince

Reactions: TXAG26

freebitflow

Dec 31, 2019
Quick update concerning my GPU problems: The AMD Radeon WX7100 is only recognized in Microsoft Windows, when the integrated GPU on the BMC in ENABLED. It did not matter in which slot I had put it. It is currently in slot number 2, that is the second from the bottom. After I have enabled the internal GPU, two Microsoft Basic Display Adapters appeared in the Device Manager. Microsoft downloaded the driver automatically. After that I disabled the leftover Microsoft Basic Display Adapters, which is the internal GPU of the BMC and installed the full driver package from AMD. The install did install the driver and then caused an instant power loss / reboot of the system. Not sure, if all got installed - will try again later today.

freebitflow

Dec 31, 2019
Shutdown issue: Looks like I solved it as well. I have removed the Asus Xonar DV (Rev 1.02) and the system shuts down in Windows now. Maybe the issue is related to the PCIe - PCI Bridge on the card? It is a PLX PEX8112. I had some bad experience with those PLX chips in the past as well.

freebitflow

Dec 31, 2019
Glad that resolved it. I'm using a simple Creative Labs USB SoundBlaster dongle for audio on my H11SSL-NC and it works great. Can't beat the price either!
Creative Labs Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 External Sound Card & USB DAC Amp
Also thought a USB soundcard is the way to go, as I did not find any decent PCIe card where the soundchip is not connected via a PCIe to USB bridge. Ordered an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Not the cheapest, but just a fraction of what the rest did cost,...

freebitflow

Dec 31, 2019
Quick update on the BMC/iKVM - integrated KVM. I can only boot with an addin GPU when the BMC/iKVM is not full booted.
1. Give power to the Mainboard by switching on the ATX power supply
2. Directly after switch on the PC

If you wait for too long powering on the system, then the iKVM will kick in and show you an error screen that the addin GPU is not supported by the iKVM and it stops the boot process.

user_provar1

Jun 13, 2020
I recall also installing the latest Threadripper driver package as well in Windows 10. I wish I had written down exactly which package(s) solved each missing driver issue.
Dear Sir, may You tell me how to solve
"PCI Encryption/Decryption controller" yellow exclamation marks (there are 8 of them)?
My setup is:
Windows10 2004
Epyc 7302p on Supermicro H11SSL-i motherboard

Thanks in advance

user_provar1

Jun 13, 2020
Try these, they have been updated by Supermicro for Windows 10 since I completed my build:

YEESSSSSSS
I run SETUP;
in device manager still 8 yellow exclamation marks;
update drivers;
point to: c:\AMD
and finally the driver is found (AMD CCP)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You again Sir.
I have to THANK YOU 2 times:
1- for the really fast answer;
2 -for the solution!

Reactions: TXAG26

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
YEESSSSSSS
I run SETUP;
in device manager still 8 yellow exclamation marks;
update drivers;
point to: c:\AMD
and finally the driver is found (AMD CCP)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You again Sir.
I have to THANK YOU 2 times:
1- for the really fast answer;
2 -for the solution!
Anytime! Glad that worked for your system!

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I want to set my minimum fan speed. I know the sensor is FAN2.
I have installed the supermicro SMCIPMITool, but I can't figure out how to set the minimum fan speed, or even look at the fan speed settings.

Is this the correct impitool, or is there a different one I should be using?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as my fan speed is constantly ramping up and down.

Using ipmiutil, I was able to set the FAN2 threshold. I set it to 250, but it is reported as being 300. In any event, I am not getting low fan speed warnings logged, and the fan speed no longer ramps up and down.

Last edited:

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have a graphics card problem.
The motherboard seems very fussy when dealing with GPUs.
I am currently using an nvidia K420.

I tried updating to a AMD RX 560, which is a much newer card.
I do get POST messages, but they hang saying
DXE--ACPI Initialization.

I tried setting APIC to “xAPIC” in the BIOS, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
I would like a reasonably low power GPU, newer than my K420, and preferably not needing an external power connector. 1 slot would be preferable.