The STORNADO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
LTT has time on their hands for hundreds of hours, lol jk.

But based on the video and comment from Patrick, i believe there was a very slim chance of drive failure and being the drives are SSD it would resilver faster then HDD.
SSD is why I said hundreds of hours instead of months :p A 26 drive width vdev will resilver cripplingly slow - the big concern is with such a large time window and so many other drives, the probability of one or more failing in said time window and rendering the array useless/unrecoverable is not insignificant. certainly low, but not your usual zfs low. I know most ZFS diehards on.....certain forums lose their shit when they see raidz2 on anything more than 5 drives, let's hope they don't see this :p

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
SSD is why I said hundreds of hours instead of months :p A 26 drive width vdev will resilver cripplingly slow - the big concern is with such a large time window and so many other drives, the probability of one or more failing in said time window and rendering the array useless/unrecoverable is not insignificant. certainly low, but not your usual zfs low. I know most ZFS diehards on.....certain forums lose their shit when they see raidz2 on anything more than 5 drives, let's hope they don't see this :p
it would be a fun test to see what would happen if someone had a play system similar to this build and they forced a failure. Plus it seems in this usecase they had access to a different branch of Freenas where they "optimized" for ssd, so who knows if that also includes resilver times.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Some commercial vendors are doing 18 drives this way, rebuilt about 4hr with 8tb ssd. (Granted it’s not sata drives)
Don’t forget ssd is suffering 1/10th or lower AFR compared to rust and often 2 orders of magnitude better URE (10x17 vs 10x15, and yes I know some rust does better than that)

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
We have not updated our population stats since our last piece in 2016 https://www.servethehome.com/used-enterprise-ssds-dissecting-our-production-ssd-population/

Since then, we have added hundreds of SSDs. We have not seen a single production unit fail (we had a pre-production batch of SSDs where we saw failures but they never were on the market.)

Resliver Raid-Z1 is not the same as Z2. Also, SSD recovery speeds are much higher than hard drives. Granted, it would not be a great day if you had the array down and 12 people hammering it simultaneously. On the other hand, if you have say 3x 9 drive Z1's striped, you end up with not great performance during a rebuild as well.

We did not do Z3 because you have a higher chance of a PSU, RAID card, backplane or other component failure versus that many multiple disk failures.

You are right on a good idea to test. Since we have Rome next week and Flash Memory Summit, this is going to be some time out.