The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I ended up getting two Raspberry Pi 3's this week.

MCM Electronics ordered March 1, 2016, shipped March 9, 2016, arrived March 15, 2016
Vilros 16GB Starter Kit (see an example here) - ordered March 14, 2016 arrived March 17, 2016 - thank you Prime!

A few notes:
  • I like the official MCM case a bit better than the Vilros case as it is a bit more flexible.
  • The Vilros kit ended up costing slightly more ($10), but between the SD card with NOOBS pre-installed and the heatsinks and HDMI cable in the pack, it was the better buy. I am going to end up spending more than that for more microSD cards and small heatsinks.
  • If I were buying again, I might try the Canakit starter pack which was $75.
  • Both the Vilros and Canakits come with reference guides. Not incredibly useful but I was impressed that there was anything in the Vilros kit.
  • After I have seen some of the other ARM boards overheat, I think it is necessary especially as we have seen reports of the RPi 3 overheating.
  • The Lantronix Spider would not take video input (mouse/ keyboard did work) from either Raspberry Pi 3 unlike the ODROID-C2, HiKey 1GB or DragonBoard 410c.
  • I ended up installing Raspbian and being able to use the default RDP client (even displaying a 4K desktop resoultion) by using:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y xrdp
Linux-Bench (ARM) runs:

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm not sure how to interpret this statement. Flexible as in not mechanically rigid or versatile in configuration/use?
There are removable panels. So if you need venting, it works well.