The Proxmox VE Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Well migration from ESXi to Proxmox was easier than i though. Just copied both .vmdk files from each VMs i wanted to save then converted the vmdk's into raw qemu images with.

Code:
qemu-img convert -f vmdk -O raw VM.vmdk VM.raw
After that i created new VM with new same sized raw hdd with IDE controller(!) and replaced the newly created .raw image with converted raw image.

Ubuntu and debian VM's with static IPs fire up just fine and work out of the box, one Arch VM with dynamic public IP needed some kicking as the interface name chanced.

Reactions: Jeggs101

Shadow.X

May 8, 2015
Well migration from ESXi to Proxmox was easier than i though. Just copied both .vmdk files from each VMs i wanted to save then converted the vmdk's into raw qemu images with.

Code:
qemu-img convert -f vmdk -O raw VM.vmdk VM.raw
After that i created new VM with new same sized raw hdd with IDE controller(!) and replaced the newly created .raw image with converted raw image.

Ubuntu and debian VM's with static IPs fire up just fine and work out of the box, one Arch VM with dynamic public IP needed some kicking as the interface name chanced.
Don't forget to try and use virtio as much as possible. Virtio increase disk and ethernet throughput.

For linux, support should be built in.

For windows, you have to install virtio drivers either by loading drivers during installation or by installing the drivers once windows is installed then switching over to virtio

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Don't forget to try and use virtio as much as possible. Virtio increase disk and ethernet throughput.

For linux, support should be built in.

For windows, you have to install virtio drivers either by loading drivers during installation or by installing the drivers once windows is installed then switching over to virtio
Yeah, that one Arch install did not like virtio disk controller, LVM just couldn't find the disk at all. It isn't my VM so I didn't really want to bother with it.

Shadow.X

May 8, 2015
Yeah, that one Arch install did not like virtio disk controller, LVM just couldn't find the disk at all. It isn't my VM so I didn't really want to bother with it.
That is odd. I haven't run into a problem yet, but I normally use debian or ubuntu.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
IIRC the most serious issue was that KVM could not do live migration of VMs running from VMDK images.

I also recall that this may have recently been 'fixed'.

Reactions: tigweld0101

tigweld0101

Apr 18, 2015
Proxomox is great but there are some really strange things with it. Like they give installer option to ZFS but then you get hamstrung with using ZFS.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Hello,
I really hate resurrecting an old thread so if that is the case fell free to kick me out of here :)
but I want to ask for a bit help and explanation for what I plan to do.

I am currently running an OMV 3.0 setup on my home server.
I am thinking about moving to ProxmoxVE 4.3 for more of a set it and forget it config.

I am toying with build out a Proxmox VE 4.3 setup using 2 120GB SSDs in RAID-1 for system
maybe even using a ZFS raid-1 as it is now supported by Proxmox installer.
mi main issue is what to do with Data drives?
I currently have 4x2TB drives 3x3TB drives and 2x1TB drives on the system.
each drive is individually formatted with BTRFS and is used in OMV with mergerFS as single volume + dual parity SnapRaid setup.

my questions are:
#1. what would be the best way to setup the main system. I have 4 NICs on the server. should I use Linux Bridge or OpenSwitch Bridge as Proxmox 4.3 supports both right out of the box.

#2. what would be the best setup for storing VM config and data? as the system drives are small what are my limits here.

#3. what can/should I do with Data drives?
I can move my OMV setup into VM (well more like rebuild it in the VM) and pass through the physical drives in.

my biggest concern issues are Drive health monitoring (SMART etc) and alerts,
safety of the data, I do have an external 5TB drive with back up but would like to still have a robust solution.
and manageability of data access, i.e. sharing the space on the network.
OMV covers most of this but it seams to be a little shaky, I do not fell confident enough to run VMs on VirtualBox inside the OMV setup. hence I want to reverse the setup.

what are my best options here for setup and easy management?

thanks.

AI4me

Dec 7, 2016
I'd never heard of ProxMox before this thread. Features look so good why don't more people use it?

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I'd never heard of ProxMox before this thread. Features look so good why don't more people use it?
if you want my take on it, it's because Proxmox is not that old, there are plenty of comercial options out there that are older and maybe better supported and marketed. ESXi, XenServer, Xen.
seemingly this products are out there longer and hence well known and used.
Proxmox is just an interface to KVM which just recently started to get some ground outside the enthusiast circle.
devs are not very friendly and if they are like that with paid customers as well, people will not use the product.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yup I was looking at a 128GB USB stick as a disk to store the VMs.
I tend to agree on the SATA DOM as well as the 100GB+ recommendation.

You can get by with much less, but I will not deploy Proxmox on 32GB SATA DOMs even at this point.

jco1904

Nov 7, 2017
I understand the ability to move from vmware over to proxmox with local storage, but lets say we have ceph storage where all of our VMs will reside, is there a way to copy into ceph those .raw files so we can then map it to the VM template.