The Official NVIDIA GRID M40 Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
a lot of guides help you add the deviceId to list of approved devices in the .INF file. it might be easier to add your device id to another Windows 10 driver, instead of trying to use the M40 one. Download a newish tesla driver for win 10 and edit that.

alternatively, to edit the M40 driver INF file, each OS has a list of approved devices. the 2012 one probably doesnt even mention win 10 devices. so you would have to add a Win 10 section, and then add your device id under that section. its not as easy to do as the other way.

good luck.

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
a lot of guides help you add the deviceId to list of approved devices in the .INF file. it might be easier to add your device id to another Windows 10 driver, instead of trying to use the M40 one. Download a newish tesla driver for win 10 and edit that.

alternatively, to edit the M40 driver INF file, each OS has a list of approved devices. the 2012 one probably doesnt even mention win 10 devices. so you would have to add a Win 10 section, and then add your device id under that section. its not as easy to do as the other way.

good luck.
Hi how about some help, please
Like I am a newbie if that helps
I would need to know what drivers i need to get
and then what I need to add and where.

IF your talking about something like this I tried but it didn't
show up in the update driver

y opinion: NVidia will never publish drivers for GRID M40 but it is Christmas time and NVidia can give you driver as a present. You can try to add simple support to nv_dispwi.inf in the meantime (I do not own the card. I cannot test it but it can work). There is "theoretical" example for 376.33-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe to add in the right inf sections:
  1. [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]
  2. %NVIDIA_DEV.13BD.110A.10DE% = Section111, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13BD&SUBSYS_110A10DE
  3. [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3]
  4. %NVIDIA_DEV.13BD.110A.10DE% = Section121, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13BD&SUBSYS_110A10DE
  5. [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2]
  6. %NVIDIA_DEV.13BD.110A.10DE% = Section112, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13BD&SUBSYS_110A10DE
  7. [Strings]
  8. NVIDIA_DEV.13BD.110A.10DE = "NVIDIA GRID M40"

ideabox

Dec 11, 2016
John, Way to spam a thread my friend.

Tried Win10 with no luck and don't have the time to 'hack' drivers. Linux is your friend install driver and all 4 pop up no problems.

Edit:

You can bypass the windows issue with running under "Compatibility Mode" but your stuck with the graphics driver still not working and failing because the GPU isn't compatible. Under Win10 of course.

Good luck.
As Luke states. Its not easy, There are no guides this is something you will have to figure out.

ps. Luke - The Tesla M1060's are waiting for you. Phillip

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
John, Way to spam a thread my friend.

Tried Win10 with no luck and don't have the time to 'hack' drivers. Linux is your friend install driver and all 4 pop up no problems.

Edit:

You can bypass the windows issue with running under "Compatibility Mode" but your stuck with the graphics driver still not working and failing because the GPU isn't compatible. Under Win10 of course.

As Luke states. Its not easy, There are no guides this is something you will have to figure out.

ps. Luke - The Tesla M1060's are waiting for you. Phillip
Dude, i'm looking for help getting it running on windows 10!
When you say hack I have no clue what your talking about and am
looking for help getting these cards running. If you can help why are you even here?
If i was going to do it myself I would not be asking for help.
I am not the only one that needs help with this cards and if someone has got them working,
please share.

THX U ALL THAT HAS HELP SO FAR!

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
Hello, anyone get this card to Mine ETH?
I tried installing it on windows but it wasn't see by the mining software but windows 10 saw them in device manager.
I installed them on Linux Mint 18.1 and was able to get the Nvidia-smi to run and see the cards but Can't seem to get the mining software
up and running. Anymore help would be great!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
They mine XMR / ZEC using Nvidia docker without issue. Have not tried eth

Elegant

Jul 20, 2017
I knew this would just take patience, as was pointed out before, HP had the Windows Server 2012 R2 drivers up on their website, so I waited for Windows Server 2016 drivers. Installed just fine under Windows 10, no edits required. Device Manager is now properly reporting my card as a GRID M40 and the drivers appear to be functional. Have fun!

Reactions: NotSoRandomJoe

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
I knew this would just take patience, as was pointed out before, HP had the Windows Server 2012 R2 drivers up on their website, so I waited for Windows Server 2016 drivers. Installed just fine under Windows 10, no edits required. Device Manager is now properly reporting my card as a GRID M40 and the drivers appear to be functional. Have fun!
Hey man that great for you. Are you using windows 7 or 10?

Kirill Lebedev

Jun 12, 2017
San Francisco
Hi, honored forum member.

I am wondering does anyone have a good experience of passthrough on XenServer. I do not care about vGPU/VDI. All that I need is to passthrough either the whole card or separate GPUs to Linux guest to use it for Tensorflow. Ideally, I would prefer to use something like GTX1080, but as I understand I would not be able to do it with consumer-grade GTX series. This one looks like more promising with a great CUDA per watt performance. Do you think I would be able to access GPUs from linux guests?

NotSoRandomJoe

Dec 1, 2017
XMR hashrates reported by miner as
Totals: 233.7 233.7 233.7 H/s per gpu.

BUT look at this. The mining pools accepted shares/hashrate is

gpu_0 214 H/s
gpu_1 210 H/s
gpu_2 101 H/s
gpu_3 175 H/s

Which seems to == perfectly to the temperature of the cards. it seems as if either these cards are defective or something is really flawed with them. As gpu2 and gpu3 are not even heating up at 100% utilization, and the hashrate the pool shows reflects that, but the miner for some strange reason shows each card is hashing at 233-235 h/s.
Can you try a 10min test run on 1xGPU of ETH?
GitHub - ethereum-mining/ethminer: Ethereum miner with OpenCL, CUDA and stratum support

I'm buying these for AI purposes but I won't be running AI jobs nonstop, so while they're not running AI my plan was to utilize the cards for ETH mining.

NotSoRandomJoe

Dec 1, 2017
Hello, anyone get this card to Mine ETH?
I tried installing it on windows but it wasn't see by the mining software but windows 10 saw them in device manager.
I installed them on Linux Mint 18.1 and was able to get the Nvidia-smi to run and see the cards but Can't seem to get the mining software
up and running. Anymore help would be great!
I doubt there is OpenCL access to these cards so you'll have to install CUDA then compile ethminer with CUDA support.

Note that I haven't purchased one yet, but I'm fairly certain this will be the case.

What is the ethminer command line you're attempting to use on this card?

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
its a waste for AI they are too slow for any purpose really unless you get them for $200. just buy a gtx 1070.

NotSoRandomJoe

Dec 1, 2017
its a waste for AI they are too slow for any purpose really unless you get them for $200. just buy a gtx 1070.
I can't imagine they would be too slow, maybe limited by the 4GB address space and the CUDA 5.0 sure, but not speed.

The 1070 offer up to 8GB and CUDA 6.1 (which means you'll be just behind the next Tensorflow when released since they've standardized their builds on the nvidia TX platform (aka CUDA 6.3) yea they've got me tongue-in-cheek about this too.

This reminds me of another question I forgot to ask here.

Can you virtually SLI these cards and run all 4xGPUs as 1 single config?