The Official NVIDIA GRID M40 Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NotSoRandomJoe

Dec 1, 2017
I doubt there is OpenCL access to these cards so you'll have to install CUDA then compile ethminer with CUDA support.

Note that I haven't purchased one yet, but I'm fairly certain this will be the case.

What is the ethminer command line you're attempting to use on this card?
I might be wrong about the lack of OpenCL support.

The HP driver listed in this thread clearly states OpenCL.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/pu...740c61e3f9724e678408d0060a&swEnvOid=4231#tab1

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
I can't imagine they would be too slow, maybe limited by the 4GB address space and the CUDA 5.0 sure, but not speed.

The 1070 offer up to 8GB and CUDA 6.1 (which means you'll be just behind the next Tensorflow when released since they've standardized their builds on the nvidia TX platform (aka CUDA 6.3) yea they've got me tongue-in-cheek about this too.

This reminds me of another question I forgot to ask here.

Can you virtually SLI these cards and run all 4xGPUs as 1 single config?
ok well if you are just doing it for fun no probs. just buyer beware.

Kirill Lebedev

Jun 12, 2017
San Francisco
OpenCL libraries are installed together with Cuda on Ubuntu. The card looks like 4 GM107 cards. ML is not so crazy slow as you can think about it. And actually, it is great in terms of TF code debug if you actually need to do some multi-gpu development. TF sees it as 4 gpus as expected.

In terms of vGPU it is hard to say will it work properly on Windows combinations, but Xen sees it as Tesla M10 and allows to pass it to VM by separate cores. Ubuntu guest has no problems to pick it up with Cuda driver

Reactions: NotSoRandomJoe

NotSoRandomJoe

Dec 1, 2017
It would be great if anyone could do an ETH miner test on a single GPU and post Mh/s and Wattage results.

I already know what I'm getting on the AI side in regards to CUDA 5.0

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
It would be great if anyone could do an ETH miner test on a single GPU and post Mh/s and Wattage results.

I already know what I'm getting on the AI side in regards to CUDA 5.0
You don't do eth on these cards. Monero and cryptonight = best on Maxwell. Then neoscrypt. Then Equihash. Then some randos then Ethash.

I have one in a server I don't have power monitoring on, but it's still earning $3/ day using nicehash and it was like 39W per core x4 last I looked.

NotSoRandomJoe

Dec 1, 2017
You don't do eth on these cards. Monero and cryptonight = best on Maxwell. Then neoscrypt. Then Equihash. Then some randos then Ethash.

I have one in a server I don't have power monitoring on, but it's still earning $3/ day using nicehash and it was like 39W per core x4 last I looked.
Thank you for the reply and additional information, that looks like great news.

However, the insinuation that ethminer wont' work on a card that supports OpenCL/CUDA 5.0 is equivalent to spreading false information.

Real data vs the interpretation of data is preferred.

I'm still interested in seeing this test if anyone is willing to spend the 10 minutes on it.

PharmEcis

Jan 25, 2018
Hey all, first post. So I picked one of these up to try out and I seem to either be stupid or missing something simple. EWBF cuda miner is only showing about 240H/s doing zcash. It shows all 4 gpus but shows each doing ~60. I'm running Server 2016 using driver linked here specifically for 2016. From what I gather, this card should do a bit better for XMR / Zcash, correct? I pulled 4x 1060's out of a DL580G7 to toss the M40 in to test, so I'm going to test the card on a clean install now on a second G7 to make sure it wasn't a driver issue. When I put the 1060s back in, they kept stopping after a few minutes until I wiped all video drivers and installed clean with proper drivers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jtylis

Jul 22, 2017
Hey guys,

Now that the Grid M40 can (apparently) run on Win 10 with the help the Win Server 2016 drivers from HP, and given its' awesome price on ebay, I've been thinking of snatching one up. Thing is, I'm wondering if my concept of use, as below, is valid:

I'm looking to use the card on CAD applications, mainly Rhino 3D. Does it make sense to have a Grid M40 handle the number crunching and renders + have a basic Quadro to drive the monitor? Is this even possible technically? Also, since it's four GPUs in one card (4x640 CUDAs) will I get the total 2560 CUDAs to work, or will the active program (eg. Rhino) use only 1 GPU? (in which case I'll be better off with a single newer and cheaper 640 CUDA / 4 GB - P1000)?

Thanks for the help!

DASHIP

May 4, 2016
Has anyone gotten the VDI drivers working for these? Would love to be able to use it as vGPU's for vDGA or vSGA in ESXi or a with a VMWare View virtual desktop cluster.

RulerOf

Aug 23, 2017
I know I'm 6 years late to the party here. These cards are pretty cheap and I'm thinking of stuffing the 24 GB variant into my Dell R730 for Plex transcoding.

At $200, is there any reason I shouldn't? Transcoding seems to be VRAM-limited, with the 24 GB model seeming to promise me slightly more headroom than my peak capacity (estimating it could handle 5 or 6 4k transcodes).

life2b

Jul 26, 2020
I know I'm 6 years late to the party here. These cards are pretty cheap and I'm thinking of stuffing the 24 GB variant into my Dell R730 for Plex transcoding.

At $200, is there any reason I shouldn't? Transcoding seems to be VRAM-limited, with the 24 GB model seeming to promise me slightly more headroom than my peak capacity (estimating it could handle 5 or 6 4k transcodes).
I would recommend at least Pascal. It has a lot of VRAM, but it can't properly transcode h265. And you might not want to store inefficient 4K h264 files.

RulerOf

Aug 23, 2017
I would recommend at least Pascal. It has a lot of VRAM, but it can't properly transcode h265. And you might not want to store inefficient 4K h264 files.
The only Pascal device that looks good for this is the P100, weighing in at 600$ on eBay right now. I also don’t see anything in the Pascal lineup with more than 16G of memory and a promise of ever being affordable. Is there anything else you’d suggest that has unlocked nvenc?

life2b

Jul 26, 2020
The only Pascal device that looks good for this is the P100, weighing in at 600$ on eBay right now. I also don’t see anything in the Pascal lineup with more than 16G of memory and a promise of ever being affordable. Is there anything else you’d suggest that has unlocked nvenc?
Depends on how many simultaneos transcoded streams you need. Running Plex w Quadro P400(2GB VRAM) w no sweat. It can transcode 3 simultaneos streams.

RulerOf

Aug 23, 2017
Depends on how many simultaneos transcoded streams you need. Running Plex w Quadro P400(2GB VRAM) w no sweat. It can transcode 3 simultaneos streams.
Is that true for the actual use case I've got? 4K h264/h265 being transcoded down to 720 or 1080? I was under the impression that a 2G card would be enough for one or two of those sessions max, whereas my CPUs can handle that already and won't run out of RAM.

xpulse

Jul 25, 2022
Hi All,
Is it possible to setup passthrough in ESXi 6.7 U3?
I have an issue with enabling passthrough, after reboot for server, GPU become disabled again.