The Intel Ruler SSD: Already Moving Markets

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
there got to be a way to stick that in my laptop :)
It's a cool design idea, and i like that it distributes the heat better.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I envision this becomes amazing when coupled with NVMe over Fabric. Or, more generally, the "future" FPGA in this same form factor with PCIe over Fabric. Imagine if you will a rack with a couple of these 1U chassis, a couple of 100Gbe RoCE NICs in the back, a 100/25 TOR and a while pile of compute blades. Makes for one hell of a composable cloud platform...simple cost effective compute nodes, NVMe speed/latency available on every compute, with the possibility of pooled FGPA distributed over fabric too.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
IBM and Micro (Intel partner) have been using something like that a while in the A9000 units if I remember right, I don't have one handy I can oull a blade out to look but I suspect it's similar.

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
First thing I thought was, "well I guess we don't need eyes and hands anymore". Its begging for a robot...Your big data infrastructure process triggers a request for X-amount of storage to maintain spec. Robot grabs another ruler and scans package, point of sale occurs at the DC when drive is scanned. All the rest is automated. Real-time physical provisioning.

Reactions: Flintstone

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The other JBOF use case is really interesting too. Think about 1PB of flash in 1U per every 12 servers that are connected to a 100GbE or other fabric. Can also have one of the connection points be a SoC that pushes out to rest of fabric.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The other JBOF use case is really interesting too. Think about 1PB of flash in 1U per every 12 servers that are connected to a 100GbE or other fabric. Can also have one of the connection points be a SoC that pushes out to rest of fabric.
I live this idea and we already have done similar with some SAS switch and SoFS but being a 100G network or even PCIe switching will bring a whole new level of performance and what people are probably not calculating is savings in energy and SAN networks.

At least applications these days are tending to support more shared nothing clusters or shared nothing failover for DR with shared storage local cluster.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
"We do want to note that the Intel Ruler SSD is not a product that may ship in the future, instead it is a product that has been shipping to a major cloud deployment for many quarters."

Sounds like Intel and their CPU's as well. :(

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yes when you place a $100 million order of course you get first go at this stuff :)