The Intel Atom C2000 Series Bug – Why it is so quiet

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Netgate (behind pfSense appliances) just posted how they are handling the issue. Added to this post.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Do you have the link to the posting from Netgate? Google hasn't indexed it yet and from their front page there isn't any mention of it (yet) either.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
so if i understand this correctly this bug was known as it's in the intel ERRATA, and as such was released to the public and oems without much circumstance.

if the above is true, then WTF intel?!? this seems like a huge blunder on the part of QA

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It was not discovered until Nov 2016 or so. That does tell you a bit about the severity. When people are posting there is a 100% fail at 18 months it makes no sense for a product that has been out over 3 years.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
are you insinuating cover-up by intel?
I think he's saying that everyone's trying to figure out how to deal with it, without actually replacing every CPU since that seems like overkill for an issue that (while real) is still affecting a small enough number of machines that years after the 18 month accelerated failure still hasn't made enough of an impact for anyone to notice except for the press about the errata.

Reactions: gigatexal

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I wonder if this is related to the sudden failure of my backup server, it was a C2750-D4i that just refused to boot, I assumed it was related to a power outage or moving locations but ...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I Guess the easiest way got manufactures to handle this is just replace on failure for 7 years since date of purchase since that's the lifetime of the cpu that was planned generally I think. (It is a Long supported model)

Meanwhile we are replacing and Cisco devices that are affected since they are offering and if a single router dies it's not very convenient.

loungeshark

Feb 7, 2017
Synology is currently nuking forumthreads concerning the issue at the syno error forums Screencap from earlier "Thread Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet was from got nuked by syno. still indexed by google. Search "nas using faulty intel atom" (props to someone who can find an archived version)"

Full current research on the topic (esp. since coverup/NDA corresponds with earningrapports for intel)

Pot. intel shitstorm incoming - Intel Atom C2XXX bricking systems • /r/wallstreetbets

sth

Oct 29, 2015
if Synology can't respect the NDA, then Intel might think they dont need to respect the warranty either which could leave Synology unable to support customers.

Reactions: Evan