The ideal single 5.25" bay device

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EscapedAvocado

Jun 22, 2019
Hello, medium time lurker of the forums here,

I've scoured the web and forums for a specific 5.25" bay device setup. Similar to this one from Icy Dock except the 3.5" bay is a 3.5" hot-swap drive slot. Resulting in a 5.25" bay to 2x 2.5" SSD hot-swap and 1x3.5"HDD hot-swap arrangement. Anyone know where I can find one or if such a design is physically plausible.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated:)

Attachments

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I looked for this solution previously and found nothing, either the hdd was hot swap or the ssd were hotswap, not both.
Deslock already noted the one with the ssd hotswap and fixed hdd this is the fixed ssd and a hole option to add a MB991 for a hot swap hdd.

chaoscontrol

Aug 15, 2019
What makes a bay hotswap? I thought this was a SATA setting. I have a cheap ebay 5,25" to 3,5" swap bay which doesnt support hotswap but I set the sata channel to enable hotswap and now I just power down the drive, swap drives, power it on and it works as expected.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
@chaoscontrol to make a drive bay hotswap requires tool free removal of the drive from the system without removing any major components(IE a a side panel on a desktop might be quick if the drives are in trays but requires opening the tower still) and with the system capable of recognzing a new drive when it's inserted. So it's a combination of os configuration(not so much these days), bios changes(some setting to control hot removal) as well as physical ease of removal.

@Spartacus I also a linked a bay option with 1x2.5 and 1x3.5 I think 2x2.5 and 1x3.5 is physically possible but doesn't have as much demand. One of each would be popular for IT workstations servicing laptops and desktops however.