The great unRAID to Windows rebuild...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
It's been a long time. 4 years or so since I moved over to unRAID, and all-in-all I've been happy. But, I've got the Windows Server itch again, so I've migrated my data over to a temporary data store, and I'm just about to start in to rebuilding my unRAID box to Storage Server 2016 Standard.

Specs as follows:

• i5-6500T with Arctic passive cooler
  • Asus H170M-Plus
  • 32GB DDR4-2400 (4x8GB Crucial elcheapo)
  • Intel i350 dual-port NIC (genuine knock-off from China)
  • ADATA SX8000 256GB NVMe (OS, Plex library, downloads, etc)
  • 3x WD80EZZX White-label drives in a DrivePool (TV shows, movies, Music, etc)
  • 2x WD30EFRX Reds in Storage Spaces ReFS mirror (Documents, photos, backups)
  • Fractal Define Mini case with 3x120mm Corsair ML120 fans
  • Corsair RM750 PSU (way over spec, but it's silent and I have lots of SATA power cables for it as I have spares from a deceased CS450M)
I got the Storage Server 2016 licence off eBay, its OEM of course, but who knows how legit it is...

Performance is solid so far, and it seems to run Plex admirably. I've even managed to get it to do hardware transcoding using QuickSync, after lots of fussing with Intel GPU drivers (finally found drives on Dell's site, originally for the Poweredge T30).

Reactions: T_Minus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Would have been interesting to see power consumption before and after, Windows generally does better.

shanehm2

Jan 12, 2018
Would have been interesting to see power consumption before and after, Windows generally does better.
Possibly. It depends on what your situation might be and what your comfortable with.

Me I have been running unRAID for about 5 years and am soon upgrading the hardware side of things to retire my current one as i want to run more ram and some dockers etc