The Complete LSI/Avago/Broadcom SBR Download MegaThread

RAIDER

Apr 16, 2020
No worries, factory state just means the HBA/RAID card with the original firmware that it was bought with from the manufacturer or the firmware from the factory.

So for instance, with a Dell H310 HBA card, the SBR would have been taken from the card when it still had the original Dell firmware on it, that way, you get a clean, non-corrupted file to use to flashback to the original firmware if you need to. :.)
Ah okay, thank you! I have a 9460-8i and 930-8i controller and I suppose they are still running the original firmware. Is there a manual how to backup the SBR?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Ah okay, thank you! I have a 9460-8i and 930-8i controller and I suppose they are still running the original firmware. Is there a manual how to backup the SBR?
Ah! thats the thing, the 3.5 gen cards are somewhat difficult to get the SBR since megarec3 doesnt work with them :.(

Still trying to figure this out, but will definitely let you know as soon as find an answer ;)

Sharin

Apr 21, 2022
A few days ago, I tried to CrossFlash the M5110e integrated RAID card of the IBM X3650M4 motherboard into IT firmware.
One of the D1 chipset identifier was successful, and the other C1 chipset identifier was not.
Now upload the two SBR files.

One of the D1 chipset identifier was successful

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleyk

gbschenkel

Oct 26, 2020
Porto Alegre, RS / Brazil
Hi @Sleyk, I think this is my first post in the forum, I start to build a homelab in 2019 and this year I start build a storage on a Supermicro SC745.
I live in Brazil and the server hardware is very expensive here, then I bought on Aliexpress a Fujitsu CP400i PRAID card and two Inspur 9217-8i which the seller told is already flashed with LSI2308 firmware P20.

Said that, before I bought the CP400i, I found this thread with the SBR firmware showing the crossflash is possible. The CP400i arrived yesterday and I checked if the card is running okay, and detecting my disks. Now I like to flash it, and that is why I am writing this post. I just look, and found another post, this one, which you replied with a walk-through. I like to know if can I follow that steps, and if I need change the .SBR file to the one posted in your list in the current thread? About the tools, is okay use that posted on the walk-through?

Thanks in advance and sorry about my newbie skill flashing SAS cards, I am just cautious to not brick this card.

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
Would I be able to flash a Fujitsu EP420i into an LSI 9361-8i using the LSI SBR? Finding the 2GB versions of the actual 9361 ia pretty difficult, but I can find the Fujitsu versions, or a 9362.

Currently I have a 9286CV-8eCC, if that SBR file would be of any interest to you I can try to pull that.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Got a few SAS2108 SBRs attached

9285_sbr.BIN (512byte)
sbr9260.bin
sbr9261.bin
sbrempty.bin
sbrfsc.bin
sbrh700.bin
sbrm5014.bin
sbrm5015.bin
sbrsmc.bin

Attachments

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
A few days ago, I tried to CrossFlash the M5110e integrated RAID card of the IBM X3650M4 motherboard into IT firmware.
One of the D1 chipset identifier was successful, and the other C1 chipset identifier was not.
Now upload the two SBR files.

Hmm, I think the C1 revision is perhaps the older SAS2208 chipset that cant flash to IT mode. The older revisions were essentially slightly upgraded versions of the older SAS2108 RAID (ROC) chipset, so they most resemble those older chips. The newer D1 chipset revisions are closer to the newer 2308 chipsets, so they flash perfectly.

All is not lost though. I think you may be able to load the SAS2208 IT mode firmware, found on the LSI 9205-8i/8e cards (HP H220/H221). That firmware is alittle older than the SAS2308 chipsets, but is also IT mode, and should hopefully work for the C1 revision :.)

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hi @Sleyk, I think this is my first post in the forum, I start to build a homelab in 2019 and this year I start build a storage on a Supermicro SC745.
I live in Brazil and the server hardware is very expensive here, then I bought on Aliexpress a Fujitsu CP400i PRAID card and two Inspur 9217-8i which the seller told is already flashed with LSI2308 firmware P20.

Said that, before I bought the CP400i, I found this thread with the SBR firmware showing the crossflash is possible. The CP400i arrived yesterday and I checked if the card is running okay, and detecting my disks. Now I like to flash it, and that is why I am writing this post. I just look, and found another post, this one, which you replied with a walk-through. I like to know if can I follow that steps, and if I need change the .SBR file to the one posted in your list in the current thread? About the tools, is okay use that posted on the walk-through?

Thanks in advance and sorry about my newbie skill flashing SAS cards, I am just cautious to not brick this card.
Hi there! Yes sir, you can certainly use my walkthrough, and the tools in that linked post no problem. Just make sure you flash the sbr then clean the flash. Then once you reboot, flash only the LSI 9300-8i IT mode firmware first, then flash the mpt3 bios files and sas address after.

Should go through smoothly for ya :.)

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Would I be able to flash a Fujitsu EP420i into an LSI 9361-8i using the LSI SBR? Finding the 2GB versions of the actual 9361 ia pretty difficult, but I can find the Fujitsu versions, or a 9362.

Currently I have a 9286CV-8eCC, if that SBR file would be of any interest to you I can try to pull that.
I think I might already have the 9286cv-8e sbr. Will double-check the post :.)

Ah yes, the SAS3108 chipset :)

So the 3108 chipset is a little tricky. The closest variant to the 9361-8i is actually the 9362-8i (NEC 9362-8i). That card will crossflash perfectly to a 9361-8i with no problems. You don't even really need to flash the SBR. They usually flash fine. So if you can get one of these, it will work great.

I know OEM 9361-8i's have gotten scarce and expensive, so the NEC 9362-8i is the best and cheaper alternative, that uses the same cache card as the 9361-8i. (Well the Supermicro and Fujitsu variants do as well, so no worries there.)

As for the Supermicro and Fujitsu variants, they are a little more difficult to say. Fujitsu and Supermicro may possibly allow the crossflash, but I have found extra protections in vendor nvram that often prevents inter-vendor flashing for these RAID chipsets.

That being said, I haven't had luck with Dell's variant, the H730/H730P as yet. Neither the IBM variant, the M5210. They simply refuse to crossflash over to LSI firmware, but I am working on it ;)

I think you have a shot with the Supermicro and Fujitsu variants, as they are more open and free with inter-vendor flashing, so you can give it a try. I would try to flash the LSI 9361-8i rom first without writing the 9361-8i sbr. If that doesn't work, then try to write the 9361-8i sbr, and then try the flash again.

If all else fails, you can recover the card using Megarec3 and Megacli or Megascu, so no worries there.

Give it a try my friend!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jensen567

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Got a few SAS2108 SBRs attached

9285_sbr.BIN (512byte)
sbr9260.bin
sbr9261.bin
sbrempty.bin
sbrfsc.bin
sbrh700.bin
sbrm5014.bin
sbrm5015.bin
sbrsmc.bin
Hey! The man, the myth, the legend! MobileNvidia!

This guy is a boss! Thanks for all your prior work brother. It really helped alot of us understand these cards better.

Happy to use these sbr files, and will credit you in the post once updated :.)

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
Ordered the Fujitsu card today before I saw your reply, so glad there is some hope. Definitely got the best deal with that one. 9362 was a bit more expensive, although I would have gone with that knowing what I do now.

Edited to add: Will pull the SBR file from my 9286 after I get the new setup running. From my understanding the biggest difference between the 8e and 8eCC variants is that the CC got FastPath which is something I have been using happily for the 5 years I have had the card.

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Ordered the Fujitsu card today before I saw your reply, so glad there is some hope. Definitely got the best deal with that one. 9362 was a bit more expensive, although I would have gone with that knowing what I do now.
Thats ok, I think you have a great chance of getting the Fujitsu to take the LSI firmware. Please come back and let me know how it goes. I also have one that I can try it out on, and will probably do so in the next few days.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Hey! The man, the myth, the legend! MobileNvidia!

This guy is a boss! Thanks for all your prior work brother. It really helped alot of us understand these cards better.

Happy to use these sbr files, and will credit you in the post once updated :.)
No credit needed, happy to help others
Was in the neighbourhood needing to do some cross flashing my self

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
Does anyone has files needed to flash Lenovo 530-8i to LSI 9400-8i mixed mode card?
Looks like Broadcom web is broken, and there is no way to get to 9400 downloads.

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
Is there a good walkthrough for how to get started flashing? I tried using StorCLI to flash the 9361 firmware file onto the EP420i and 9362, but both cards came back with an error "controller 0 not found"

For the EP420i it has RAID6 already, so really I probably just need to get the latest firmware on there.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Is there a good walkthrough for how to get started flashing? I tried using StorCLI to flash the 9361 firmware file onto the EP420i and 9362, but both cards came back with an error "controller 0 not found"

For the EP420i it has RAID6 already, so really I probably just need to get the latest firmware on there.
Hey there, so for the SAS3108 chipset variants, you can use Megacli instead of Storcli.

Its super easy to flash with Megacli. Just place the 9361 firmware rom (9361.rom) in the root or folder of the megacli utility, and then type:

Megacli -adpfwflash -f 9361.rom -a0 and it should flash. Now, I can ensure it will work for the 9362 card, but the Fujitsu card may return with errors. If you must flash the Fujitsu variant, at least first save the sbr. For that, you need Megarec3.

Type: Megarec3 -readsbr 0 EP420i.sbr and it should save the sbr for the Fujitsu card before you flash the 9361 firmware. If forwhatever reason you didnt or cant save the Fujitsu sbr, then no worries. You can find it on the first page of this thread :cool:

If the 9361 firmware doesn't take on the Fujitsu card, then you can just update the card to the latest firmware found here: FUJITSU SAS HBA/RAID FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
At least some of the 9361 variants allow flashing through the BIOS setup for the card. I just flashed an IBM M5210 using the BIOS setup of the EFI motherboard (which incorporates the UEFI ROM of the card).

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
Hey there, so for the SAS3108 chipset variants, you can use Megacli instead of Storcli.

Its super easy to flash with Megacli. Just place the 9361 firmware rom (9361.rom) in the root or folder of the megacli utility, and then type:

Megacli -adpfwflash -f 9361.rom -a0 and it should flash. Now, I can ensure it will work for the 9362 card, but the Fujitsu card may return with errors. If you must flash the Fujitsu variant, at least first save the sbr. For that, you need Megarec3.

Type: Megarec3 -readsbr 0 EP420i.sbr and it should save the sbr for the Fujitsu card before you flash the 9361 firmware. If forwhatever reason you didnt or cant save the Fujitsu sbr, then no worries. You can find it on the first page of this thread :cool:

If the 9361 firmware doesn't take on the Fujitsu card, then you can just update the card to the latest firmware found here: FUJITSU SAS HBA/RAID FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS

Will give it a try, thank you. Does the .zip file you had in this post have the correct version of megarec? Also, the only version of MegaCLI I can seem to find is from 2012 on Lenovo's website here. Will that work or should I keep looking?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Will give it a try, thank you. Does the .zip file you had in this post have the correct version of megarec? Also, the only version of MegaCLI I can seem to find is from 2012 on Lenovo's website here. Will that work or should I keep looking?
Yes sir, that's Megarec3, so will work perfectly for you no problem. I linked below Megacli for dos and efi:

MegaCli.efi MegaCli.efi
MegaCli.exe MegaCli.exe

2 files All 2 files

Last edited: