The Complete LSI/Avago/Broadcom SBR Download MegaThread

tkrn

Aug 30, 2021
Oh perfect! Do you have a directory listing view in the Google drive? I want to download the entire thing since I deal with alot of these cards. Thanks.

Reactions: Sleyk

acefx

Feb 7, 2022
Hey there, sometimes the older Intel cards are a bit finicky. I haven't had good success with them, and often, they refuse to even boot since they are locked down to intel hardware. That being said, it is a sas2208/2308 D1, so you should be able to crossflash to LSI.

I would try with the 256byte empty sbr to see what results you get. The 512byte sbr may be too large for the small flash size, and may be the culprit causing some problems there.
I tried it both.The Original SBR backup is 512, and since it's a D1 rev...
The card itself is posting & booting, after the LSI 2301 flash but aren't detecting the disk, or hanging/freezing during the MPT2sas bios when connected to the sas expander.
I'm sure it's an intel thing about the SBR,i maybe need to edit the original to change only the Vendor / Dev id but i cannot find a guide about SBRtool...

Sleyk

Your Friendly Knowledgable Helper and Techlover!
Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Does anyone have an SBR for a SAS2208/SAS2308 card that has the SAS Address embedded in it, or happen to know the offset(s) in the SBR where that address is stored? (@fohdeesha ? I know you've done a bit of work with SBRs from the Dell PERC crossflashing process...)

It seems the sbrtool.py from lsirec is meant to work with the layout of the SAS2008/SAS2108 SBRs and the SAS2208/SAS2308 have a slightly different layout...
You could try to edit the sbr with a hex editor and see if that works. I was able to do a tiny amount of editing when I was dabbling with the 2108 chipsets, but gave up since it was so time-consuming :D

Try something like IDA freeware, or HXD, or my favorite, the simple but powerful, notepad+ ;)

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Oh perfect! Do you have a directory listing view in the Google drive? I want to download the entire thing since I deal with alot of these cards. Thanks.
Haha, I have to update the folder with all my latest saved SBR's.

But sure, send me a pm :.)

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I tried it both.The Original SBR backup is 512, and since it's a D1 rev...
The card itself is posting & booting, after the LSI 2301 flash but aren't detecting the disk, or hanging/freezing during the MPT2sas bios when connected to the sas expander.
I'm sure it's an intel thing about the SBR,i maybe need to edit the original to change only the Vendor / Dev id but i cannot find a guide about SBRtool...
Hmm, yeah the most i know about sbrool is that it is a python utility, so you can probably run it in some sort of jail environment. Perhaps in your NAS (Freenas/Xigmanas). I still dont have too much experience in linux, but just like I suggested for Dave Corder, you could try to edit the sbr with a hex editor or notepad+, and see if you can get a stable result.

acefx

Feb 7, 2022
Jeeeez, i didn't know that Notepad++ ( french softW by the way ) was also Hex editor, going to try asap.

Since i got you online, i got 2 more Raid car for like 15 bucks this afternoon, An HP p420, and a dell H700.
I know that the Hp can be switch in hba mode, but i have some doubt about the H700.
Any through ?

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Jeeeez, i didn't know that Notepad++ ( french softW by the way ) was also Hex editor, going to try asap.

Since i got you online, i got 2 more Raid car for like 15 bucks this afternoon, An HP p420, and a dell H700.
I know that the Hp can be switch in hba mode, but i have some doubt about the H700.
Any through ?
There was that same question about the H700 on Reddit.com/r/homelab the other day - the short answer is "no"

acefx

Feb 7, 2022
Ok so, I need to succeed flashing correctly the Intel's integrated raid Rms25CB080...
for the many trial and error I think it's a matter of hacking correctly the SBR file ... because flashing is done flawlessly , recognized after that by megarec and sas2flash but no success in disk discovery ..

chiuljnk

Apr 20, 2016
I have a SuperMicro X10SL7-F which has a "8x SAS2 (6Gbps) via Broadcom 2308 [nid:10917]" listed on the spec sheet.

How do I know which file to use if there are two?

SUPERMICRO AOC-S2308L-L8I
SUPERMICRO AOC-S2308L-L8E

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I have a SuperMicro X10SL7-F which has a "8x SAS2 (6Gbps) via Broadcom 2308 [nid:10917]" listed on the spec sheet.

How do I know which file to use if there are two?

SUPERMICRO AOC-S2308L-L8I
SUPERMICRO AOC-S2308L-L8E
Hi there my friend, you can safely use the SAS2308L-L8E sbr. The 8i sbr is fine, but you will have to do a full erase to flash the IT mode firmware, so its easier to use the 8E sbr, since it will allow the 2308 chipset to crossflash without doing a full erase, so you can save the sas address and other nvram info :.)

Before you flash my friend, what is your current running firmware? Is it a LSI megaraid rom?

ttt821

Jul 12, 2021
Reserved.

Update 11/19/21
: Will begin transitioning all LSI/Avago/Broadcom SBR download links to my personal paid Google Drive Storage for perpetuity.
File upload sites like Pixeldrain and Upload.io often expire and delete download links after 30 days for free accounts. If I gotta pay for an account with some rando upload site, might as well use google storage for 100GB at $1.67/month ;)

Update 6/26/21: Added list of SAS3.5 Generation cards (LSI 9400-8i/8e/16i/16e, LSI 9460-8i/8e, LENOVO 930-8i, Dell HBA345, etc.)
Currently researching ability to extract SBR's from 3.5 gen cards. Old utilities do not work anymore. Broadcom changed the crossflashing game with this new gen of cards!
how to flash the lenova 530 to it mode

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Any news on flashing the 9361-16i to IT mode ?

I would like to use my Tape drive on it.

Thanks

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Uh oh, seems i will stay with the SAS3008 in the server then.

Thanks for the fast and comprehensive answer :cool:

RAIDER

Apr 16, 2020
Remember, unless otherwise stated, these are the ORIGINAL SBR files taken directly from the card in its FACTORY state.
What is meant by factory state? Reset it to factory settings before dumping the SBR?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
What is meant by factory state? Reset it to factory settings before dumping the SBR?
No worries, factory state just means the HBA/RAID card with the original firmware that it was bought with from the manufacturer or the firmware from the factory.

So for instance, with a Dell H310 HBA card, the SBR would have been taken from the card when it still had the original Dell firmware on it, that way, you get a clean, non-corrupted file to use to flashback to the original firmware if you need to. :.)

Reactions: RAIDER