THE CHIA FARM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You need to create new plots with a pooling token. They are the same plots but you can't convert old to new plots, you need to recreate (re-plot) them.

If you do these on an extra drive, or free space of your existing drive does not matter.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
You need to create new plots with a pooling token. They are the same plots but you can't convert old to new plots, you need to recreate (re-plot) them.
if you can't convert old plots to pool plots, why is it then called RE-PLOT ?? that is confusing to me.
if you create new plots with pool token, then it is just creating plots, with another key. this is not re-plotting.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Re-plotting as in redoing the plotting process to create new plots to replace the old ones.

I mount a drive with original plots on, wipe them out and then create the new plots.

The new plots can be used for both solo and for polling so it is good to change over to them. Yep, there is the hit of having to plot again and either get more storage or reuse the storage you have by deleting the originals.

Reactions: ari2asem

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
guys and girls, i am sorry for very noob question, regarding Linux / Ubuntu

i am trying to make a run-script for madmax-plotting in Ubuntu 20.04, but no luck. this is my very first experience with Linux.

in terminal i can run madmax-plotter iwth command:

Code:
./chia_plot -n 1 -r 32 -K 2 -u 512 -t /home/erik/Desktop/ram-01.240gb/ -2 /home/erik/Desktop/ram-02.119gb/ -d /media/erik/01/pool-01/ -c ***  -f   ***

what i want:
- running madmax-plotter in Linux like it was in Windows 10 (with powershell cmd-file)
- log files written to home-folder of madmax-plotter
- double-click on Linux-script to run the plotter
- easy way to edit the script

this is windows powershell script. as you can see i am plotting with logging enabled. something like i want for Linux.
Code:
@ECHO ON
SET hr=%time:~0,2%
IF "%hr:~0,1%" equ " " set hr=0%hr:~1,1%
SET DATETIME=Log_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%_%hr%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%
SET LOG_FILE=logs.02/%DATETIME%.05.log
IF NOT EXIST logs.02 MKDIR logs.02
powershell ".\chia_plot.exe -n 90 -r 32 -K 2 -u 512 -t Z:\ -2 Y:\ -d W:\dell.4disk.stripped.raid0\ -c ***  -f *** | tee '%LOG_FILE%'"
PAUSE
any help to make Linux script to run with double click ??

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
You can create a simple bash script to do everything that you asked. Double-clicking to run the script is controlled by your window manager. Take a look here for some examples of how to get that setup.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
You can create a simple bash script to do everything that you asked. Double-clicking to run the script is controlled by your window manager. Take a look here for some examples of how to get that setup.
ok, that double-click part is now clear.

but how do i make a script with enabeling logs and saving the logs ?? because i dont know the commands to enable logging in Ubuntu.

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
Well if you make a bash script the syntax is pretty similar to powershell. Keep in mind you will want to have #!/bin/bash at the top of your script file, as in the examples. Then when you save your script, give it an .sh extension for good measure, and you'll probably want to chmod +x it to make it executable.

Check out this for some examples of writing a simple Chia script. Bash has redirection operators to send output to a file, creating a log. The '>>' operator appends the command output to a file and the '>' operator would overwrite the file with whatever output your command generates. So for example, the command:

echo "I like Linux because it's sexy" > logthisforme.txt

would create (or overwrite) a file called logthisforme.txt with the phrase.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I use a variation of the following

Code:
./build/chia_plot -n 21 -r 30 -u 128 -t /mnt/chia-tmp1/ -2 /mnt/chia-tmp2/ -d /mnt/spacepool/chia-plots-1/ -c xxxxxx -f xxxxxx | ts | tee ../chia-plotter-`date "+%d.%m.%Y-%H.%M.%S"`.log
Note the quotes around the data command are the ones usualy next to the number 1 key (top left of the keyboard) not the single ' ot double " quotes. Just before the .log there is the closing double quotes " as well as the closing `.

ts in the command gives me timestamps on every line which is great for telling if a process has stolled or for log consolidation with something like Splunk or Elasticsearch.

For your check if logs dir exists then there is a 'if directory exists' test in bash. Just give it a quick Google and you will find lots of examples.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Chia v 1.2.3 came out a week ago and seems to be working ok for me.

I tried chia plots check and a number of my plots seems to have no pooling key listed but seem to be working just fine (they have been replotted with the key). I suspect the pooling key is just not in the machines keychain. I have the same for some plots where the farmer key is not known. Strangely though the whole drive was replotted and soem of the plots do not report this and some do. Maybe the chia plot check needs a little more work. The plots seem to be working so ......

With just over 100TB I am getting between 0.024 - 0.026 Chia / day with Spacepool. This means that to get 2 Chia I am looking at around 3 months all being equal. My estimation of hitting a block with that amount of plots is 2 months. Looks like I may go back to solo.

Also had a 6TB drive die on me with unrecoverable media errors (46 detected). Doing a fsck (forced random non-destructive test) took 3 days and didn't fix the issue. First Ebay failure so far.

I currently have 7x 2TB drives which I will now start to look at phasing out, slowely moving to 12TB as cash permits.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
I use a veriation of the following

Code:
./build/chia_plot -n 21 -r 30 -u 128 -t /mnt/chia-tmp1/ -2 /mnt/chia-tmp2/ -d /mnt/spacepool/chia-plots-1/ -c xxxxxx -f xxxxxx | ts | tee ../chia-plotter-`date "+%d.%m.%Y-%H.%M.%S"`.log
Note the quotes around the data command are the ones usualy next to the number 1 key (top left of the keyboard) not the single ' ot double " quotes. Just before the .log there is the closing double quotes " as well as the closing `.

ts in the command gives me timestamps on every line which is great for telling if a process has stolled or for log consolidation with something like Splunk or Elasticsearch.

For your check if logs dir exists then there is a 'if directory exists' test in bash. Just give it a quick Google and you will find lots of examples.
after many trial-error i found a way to save the log-files inside ./chia-plotter/logs.

......-c **** -f *** | tee /home/****/chia-plotter/logs/`date "+%F-%T" `.log

saved log-file in format:
2021-08-04-01:10:47.log
in special folder logs under ./chia-plotter/ folder

thanks for help..

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert and RimBlock

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
So I am kind of out, reduced my chia farm size from 240GB to 100GB and burned my 150TB plot space. Just returned all my usb drives to Costco; they costed me ~16$/TB. I also shut down my farm on hot days, which is most days as I see the temps on my drives reaching to 60C. My supermicro disk shelve is really poor on airflow.

I did some rough math and calculated the power cost of plotting a single plot is around 4c so it seems like plotting is not a big part of cost as long as one has the hardware and time but nevertheless sad to see all these plots going away.

I am not sure if we will see low prices of 10$/tb per drive again but I plan to wait for those days or at least until winter where heat is not going to be an issue. This was fun and took a lot of my time but finally I got into linux world thanks to chia.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I still solo mining. Start second week of May, able to accumulate 12 XCH, about 14 days ( 10-17days ) to find a block.

Due to weather, I will not replot until cold weather.

Farming 5,200 plots, 30% are smaller 3-4TB drives.
My power bill is about $250 extra per month , 22KW per day to farm Chia

I donated my Chia winning to charity. Last month, I was able to donate 4 laptops.
Hopefully, if Chia price stable, I'll have money to donate couple laptops this month.

I'll keep going solo farming, may switch to pool farming this fall / winter.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I still solo mining. Start second week of May, able to accumulate 12 XCH, about 14 days ( 10-17days ) to find a block.

Due to weather, I will not replot until cold weather.

Farming 5,200 plots, 30% are smaller 3-4TB drives.
My power bill is about $250 extra per month , 22KW per day to farm Chia

I donated my Chia winning to charity. Last month, I was able to donate 4 laptops.
Hopefully, if Chia price stable, I'll have money to donate couple laptops this month.

I'll keep going solo farming, may switch to pool farming this fall / winter.
I would love to see your home lab holding 520TB with half of them are with smaller drives! It seems like you keep on finding more drives and space :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
U-NAS chassis housing all SAS drives.
Tall chassis is Norco ITX-S8 , I have 3 Norco cases. Each case hold 8 SATA or SAS drives
I have about 8 HP N40L backup servers running Xpenology.

All the equipment are in living area, no Supermicro 4u chassis , loud fans allow.

UNAS.jpg

Reactions: Bert

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have 5 Antec 900 chassis
each with 2
Kingwin KF-4001-BK 3.5" Internal Hot Swap rack , either 5 in 3 or 4 in 3 drives cage on top
Either Gigabyte or ASUS C246 MATX or ATX board.
Each Antec 900 chassis holds 8 drives + either 5 or 4 drives = 12 to 13 drvies

Attachments

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have 2 Silverstone GD08 case , each case holds my most valuable 14 TB drives, 10 drives x 14 TB each case.
Using Gigabyte C246 ATX board with 10 SATA ports

Silverstone.jpg

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Finally left Spacepoool. Made 0.5 Chia ove 1 month vbut to be fair, I was replotting over some of that time.

CHia estimate for my 100TB is around 2 months per win so makes little sense to still with the pool. My income had dropped to between 0.021 --> 0.023 per day down from 0.024 --> 0.026 over the last two weeks.

Plots passed filter is very low but I guess it may take a little time to kick in again. Will restart if it hasn't improved later.

Got my first EBay dead drive today. 12TB that cannto be seen by my Supermicto servers and which Windows errors when trying to initalise. Hopefully I will be able to get a refund.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
For learning, experimenting purpose. I point 275 NFT plots to Space Pool.

Some days, I am satisfying with the pool.
Some days, I am not happy.

Trying figure out how the pool point.
I am not using hardwired cable for the pool full node.
It is on Infinity wifi , reason is to isolate my the pool full node from my solo full node.
It could affected the payout.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
If anyone interest.
search Ebay 3tb sas lot
a listing with 10 x 3TB for $212 , about $7 per TB.

4tb sas lot , a listing for about $10 per TB.