THE CHIA FARM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
He is correct in most cases you will plot more staggering parallel plots using multiple NVME devices.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Won 2 Chia this morning, 14 days since last win. I have 2,900 plots for now. total 6 XCH.

It match Chia calculator Expected time to win : 17 days.

Power bill is "paid for" this month, will continue farming June.

I found a box with 14 x 8TB SAS drives, filling it with new plots.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The plots only use the public key, don't they?
So I think that would actually work without compromising me;)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Is anyone farming with a pool?
Do you have experience with Hpool earning?

Using Hpool calculator, using 2,900 plots, earning is 2.8 XCH per month?
Is the calculator accurate?
On reddit, folks are saying real payout it is 20% less?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Hpool takes a cut. It is not clear how much the cut it but 20% sounds normal. I have close to 208 tb and I got 0.067 Chia yesterday. The talk on the street is that people people steal from the pool and this reduces the cut. IMHO since you are still able to plot and grow as fast as netspace, you may continue Solo.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Bert,
From doing my math, with 1900 plots , your payout match Hpool calculator.

I am thinking about joining Hpool next month (July) with my ( 2900 to 3200 ) plots.

Today, Hpool calculator showing 2.84 XCH per month ( 0.0948 per day )

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Once people start to realize that plots can be done in < 1min, K32 is already obsolete. I'm also sure someone already figured out how to make plots right from a challenge. You just need to be fast enough. The more I dig into Chia, the more I think it's a joke. K32 will be ruled out shortly and you have to do all the plots again to match 'mainnet' with K33 or K34 to make it more long-term. But then comes the space requirement in place again. So the 'inventors' first idea to not buy new storage bites you quickly and you will be out of the game very quickly. Your Net Space keeps the same, but your plot count is losing it. The fewer plots, the fewer chances to win. Or do you get higher rewards with K33 or K34's? Plotting takes much more time for these. You have to reinvest in processing power to make progress in K33 & K34 and it's keeps you rinning in circles.

Consider it done by people making K32's on the fly. Chia can move to GPU in the near future. That's a bummer and the death penalty for storage. For the current developments in plotter design, you will just need more RAM. Less SSD. So .....

And forget all these calculations when you shall win something. You never know Total Network Space on the next challenge. So your calc is always 'wrong'. Until HPool gets destroyed and guys can just mirror their space to get paid, this doesn't work and makes no sense.

Whoever earned some cash on that, congrats.

Last edited:

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Nah if K32 is fast enough, then K33/K34 would be fast enough as well.

Also, making plots from a challenge is essentially what POW are currently doing, like ETH or BTC. You are given a hash requirement and you have to run millions of hashes to find out the plot that solves the challenge. There would still be a long way to go before you can solve the challenge on the fly.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Your Net Space keeps the same, but your plot count is losing it. The fewer plots, the fewer chances to win. Or do you get higher rewards with K33 or K34's? Plotting takes much more time for these.
*They* say that the chances to win are better with larger plots (once you get past the prefilter) since you got more space to have the 'best' plot and it would practically even out.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Also, making plots from a challenge is essentially what POW are currently doing, like ETH or BTC. You are given a hash requirement and you have to run millions of hashes to find out the plot that solves the challenge. There would still be a long way to go before you can solve the challenge on the fly.
Looks like I wasn't clear enough. There are rumours that K32's are already broken because an institution is already able to make a plot with the requirements of a challenge. That means you can do a plot fast enough so that every challenge answer from you is to be accepted and you receive XCH. I would call this 'plotting on the fly' or just jumping the queue. This also would mean, that someone figured the Hash algo ... Isn't it so?

But they are rumors.

*They* say that the chances to win are better with larger plots (once you get past the prefilter) since you got more space to have the 'best' plot and it would practically even out.
For me, it looks like K32 has twice the chance to be selected as K32 takes more than half the time to be plotted, but is only half the size of K33. So the faster you plot the earlier you farm the same 'Net Space', the higher the chances to win a challenge. Or am I wrong here? the whole 'theory' got busted while expectations about how fast K32's can be plotted were underestimated. Lots of guys already go for K33 and K34 while expecting a change in protocol due to the 'f....up' under K32's ... Consider it done.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Looks like I wasn't clear enough. There are rumours that K32's are already broken because an institution is already able to make a plot with the requirements of a challenge. That means you can do a plot fast enough so that every challenge answer from you is to be accepted and you receive XCH. I would call this 'plotting on the fly' or just jumping the queue. This also would mean, that someone figured the Hash algo ... Isn't it so?

But they are rumors.
I understood that the lab was able to create a plot in some 30 seconds, but that this is not a safe way to win (yet), as in order to provide the "best numbers" you need to know which ones they gonna be; but even if you try to recreate the plot with the picked hash as input the result not automatically becomes the "best" plot...as the small variances generate many similar but only one (or few) best plots.
So in order to generate the best plot you'd actually need to predict which path the algorithm is going to take through a file (potentially possible dropping ML on the algo) or generate so many plots on the fly that the likelyhood of you haveing a better plot then the other ppl out there is high enough to guarantee lots of wins...

Both has not been done yet from what I gather.

For me, it looks like K32 has twice the chance to be selected as K32 takes more than half the time to be plotted, but is only half the size of K33. So the faster you plot the earlier you farm the same 'Net Space', the higher the chances to win a challenge. Or am I wrong here? the whole 'theory' got busted while expectations about how fast K32's can be plotted were underestimated. Lots of guys already go for K33 and K34 while expecting a change in protocol due to the 'f....up' under K32's ... Consider it done.
True, if you take the difference in plot times as a significant aspect (hours or days) then k32 is better since you can start farming earlier.
Otoh, given the miniscule chance of a single plot to be the winning one, I would say that the likelyhood that the newly created two k32 plots (before the k33 finishes) are the winning ones seems low enough to not have a huge impact.

At this point I'd not say there is a need to switch to k33+ - if the algo gets broken, then its moot if you run k32 or k40 - as soon as the best plot is predictable you can forget the coin.
The need to plot many potentially winning plots on the other hand is a threat, but you'd need a lot of plots to increase your chances in a meaningfull matter - given that 1/512th of the netspace is a potential winning plot at all times thats some 500k blocks competing with your's for the win...

Edit - I think the point when they or any plotter (should) switch is when (if) there is a replot for pools.
Anything new then should probably play it safe and up the ante...

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Some interesting stats I am seeing on my farming processes on my 4 machines.

ChiaDashboard.png

Averaging around a 20% filter pass on challenges.
Average proof response is under 1s (the max is due to copying plots between machines).
Plot cound (in brackets) against filter passes (one pass is blue, > 1 is green) shows quite a ramp up between 50 and 100 plots.

Reactions: Marsh