Testing a LGA2011 CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Raffles

Jan 9, 2013
UK
OK, I think I may have got lucky. I've rescued a couple of E5-2699 V3 from a skip (dumpster for you guys on the left-hand side of the pond ;-) ) and as far as know they work. While I'd love to construct a kick-ass AIO around one of them I've gotta be realalistic and try to realise their value. And to do that I need to test them.

So I can either get the cheapest board I can or I could invest in a half decent LGA2011-3 board with a view to using it in a replacement for my current AIO (modified ML110G7) in the next year or so.

What would be the minimum LGA2011 board suitable to test them?
Should I test them with ECC RAM?

Or should I go for something better that I can reuse in the future to host a nice 8 core with a decent amount of RAM when funds permit?

Your thoughts and insights are welcome.

P.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Why not test both, if both work sell 1 to fund the build of yours?

Depending on your goal I would buy on ebay and either go 1U with motherboard (used/deal price) and your favorite brand(s) (Intel, HP, etc...)
Or
I would go with a SuperMicro motherboard and piece the system together based on your needs... tower, 2U, 4U, etc...

You most def. want to use ECC RAM in your build. I would buy what you plan to use, and test with that. Saves you time, money and potential hassles of reselling anything.

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
You could test 1 at a time in a dual socket board, cpu slot 0, with 1 stick of ram if you are ultra concerned about their exact working condition. I'm not sure exactly what software suite you'd use to to an enhanced cpu test. Sometime like prime95 would stress them for heat/power. I think memtest86 tests on cpu cache.

if you just wanted a cheep single socket board then you're looking at an X99 board. most of them, everyone i've ever seen, will accept Xeon E5 V3s.

I would also second ecc ram.

most, if not all x99 motherboards i've seen, accept Udimm both ecc and non ecc, as well as registered ecc dimms

If working those cpus are worth quite a bit of money so it only makes sense to keep them if you'll realize their full potential. often times it makes sense to sell out of top tier hardware, and replace it with something slightly worse, but save a ton of money to put toward the whole system. The price to performance scale of top of the CPU's is usually not the sweet spot.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
2nd that comment about selling but in his case it may be traceable so while it’s ok to use for personal use sale to a 3rd party probably crosses a line. (I assume it’s a work bin)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Since not all X99 motherboards will work with RDIMM, I would recommend using one from ASRock. Even their cheapest ones support RDIMM.