Tested: DL580G8 (Gen8) and G9 (Gen9) *Lack of* Compatibility

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Funny enough, if we talk about E7 v3 + DDR3 - almost every vendor except HP and Dell supported those configuration. Cisco UCS series support v3 with DDR3 ram, Oracle (which in my opinion almost always best engineered servers), even Huawei supported DDR3 with v3 Xeons. I had some experience with almost every quadsocket Brickland platform released, and in my experience DL580 Gen8/Gen9 is actually one of the worst ones, only IBM with their awful X6 is worse. And my favorites are Cisco UCS C460 and Oracle X4-4/X5-4 machines. Although nothing new here, DL560 Gen8 were one of the worst "el-cheapo" quad socket machines... So what else to expect?
What did you dislike about the IBM/Lenovo X6? And what did you prefer about the Cisco and Oracle platforms?

RussianE39

May 22, 2021
What did you dislike about the IBM/Lenovo X6? And what did you prefer about the Cisco and Oracle platforms?
IBM - Price, amount of bugs, performance, support. The only cool thing about X6 were their DDR SSD sticks IMHO. Cisco and Huawei is probably most flexible ones from this generation. Oracle is best considering HW and FW engineering and the only one where you can get E7-8895v2 CPUs officially with their TurboBoost tricks, also all MSR registers are not latched on those. So in bare tests, Oracle machines would be benchmark winners. They have their own disadvantages - like only LP expansion cards, PITA to get firmware, VERY noisy (thx to power supplies). Getting cheap parts for Oracle machines is another thing. I personally use DL580 Gen8 as one of my workstations, but I DONT like how they designed and made it, I just use it from price/performance ratio, probably DL580 were most popular Brickland platform ever made, so its cheapest to maintain.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
IBM - Price, amount of bugs, performance, support. The only cool thing about X6 were their DDR SSD sticks IMHO. Cisco and Huawei is probably most flexible ones from this generation. Oracle is best considering HW and FW engineering and the only one where you can get E7-8895v2 CPUs officially with their TurboBoost tricks, also all MSR registers are not latched on those. So in bare tests, Oracle machines would be benchmark winners. They have their own disadvantages - like only LP expansion cards, PITA to get firmware, VERY noisy (thx to power supplies). Getting cheap parts for Oracle machines is another thing. I personally use DL580 Gen8 as one of my workstations, but I DONT like how they designed and made it, I just use it from price/performance ratio, probably DL580 were most popular Brickland platform ever made, so its cheapest to maintain.
Oops - I just bought two X6 recently!

I have 2 DL580G8, 2 DL580G9, 2 X3850 X6

Isn't IBM the only one which actually supports 8CPUs this generation?

What's the backstory with the 8895v2? Do they not use their highest P-States on most of these servers? Do you have any interesting reading links on this?

I feel like the HP is really well assembled from a hardware POV, and it's the BIOS restrictions which make it the worst platform. Being able to swap the whole CPU tray is nice, and if you could simply arbitrarily run memory and CPU combinations like the hardware actually supports (decoupling CPUs from DDR3/DDR4), it would be very nice.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
So, some interesting findings from a per-outlet managed PDU:
The IPMI/Standby Power for IBM/Lenovo X3850 X6 to just be plugged into the wall with a single PSU is about ~26.5W of active power! That's shockingly high to me. I'll have to measure the HP DL580 Gen9 and such in a bit for comparison, but I feel like it's nowhere near this high for pure standby ILO.

Edit: I started a power consumption thread here: Power Consumption Thread | ServeTheHome Forums

Last edited:

MichalPL

Feb 10, 2019
Few weeks ago I bought another 4x 8895v2 for second DL580 G8 (to replace 4890v2) (today they are really for free, about $40each lol), but decision for future is to switch to TR (32cores or more), it's faster for massive C++ compiling tested on slightly overclocked TR3970.

I personally use DL580 Gen8 as one of my workstations
How did you managed the noise that DL5800G8 generate? Have you replaced fans?
lol, 1.5 year ago - before Ryzen 5000, and intel 12gen it was one of the fastest machines on the planet even single core performance was good.

Isn't IBM the only one which actually supports 8CPUs this generation?

TurboBoost tricks
Have you managed to run 8895v2 3.6GHz all core all the time ?