Temporary File Sharing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
I need a recommendation for a place to store some image files for 12-18 months. They are family photos covering 6 generations. I have been scanning for the last couple of years. The total should be under 50GB. After 18 months, everyone should have downloaded the images and I can close the account.

I don't want to load an app, or force others to load one. I just want a web browser interface.

I need to be able to send a link to someone that will give them secure read-only access to the images. Preferably without them having to create their own account.

I need to be able to set security so that:
Family-A can only accces Folder-A,
Family-B can only access Folder-B
etc.

I don't mind paying a minor fee each month.

Any recommendations?
Thank you for your time!

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Piwigo might be just what you need, and they can host as a service.
$40E for 1 year, unlimited storage
You can also self-host or run on a different host, i think it just needs a basic lamp stack.
Can also do docker but need to run with an external mysql.

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
Piwigo seems impressive, but more than I require.
I only need:
a Web browser interface
access control over each folder
no account required for the end user (send them a link which gives them access)

I was looking at:
Google One
Drop Box (not sure they have a browser)

sko

Jun 11, 2021
gofile.io

As long as the files are accessed at least once a week they will be hosted as long as you want. You can also register from $5/month for additional features...

Another (somewhat unusual) variant I've seen, is to upload files into a (private) github repository. But that's top-tier-"wrong tool for the job" IMHO...

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Do you have a decent internet connection? I do exactly what you are describing for family on my own home nextcloud instance. I just give them a link to a folder for that side of the family and they can access/download all of the photos with just a web browser.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Google Photos is great for this. Create album, share link, anybody with the link can view and download all as zip. If they have a Google account already, they can add to their account with one click, no download/re-upload required.

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
I tried Google Photos. I could not find a way to show the image and the file name at the same time on the screen. The file name ties to an index.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Piwigo is SUPER easy to setup, allows you to dump files in via FTP and process and organize on web interface automatically based on directory structure. Add users, and allow access to only certain areas I believe can be done but haven't done that part.

Don't make this difficult just use Piwigo on your own hosted VM or cPanel account and be good :)

Reactions: gregsachs

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Piwigo is SUPER easy to setup, allows you to dump files in via FTP and process and organize on web interface automatically based on directory structure. Add users, and allow access to only certain areas I believe can be done but haven't done that part.

Don't make this difficult just use Piwigo on your own hosted VM or cPanel account and be good :)
From playing with it, you can almost make the picture access granular down to the specific picture in a gallery. The easiest is to do user groups, and add appropriate people to appropriate groups, then grant each group access to the top level galleries of choice, and let it propogate down; but you can certainly do more with it.
Oh, Piwigo also has a free IOS and android app if people want it.
Very customizable via extensions.

Reactions: T_Minus

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
Piwigo looks awesome, but way more functions that I need. I think Google Drive will fit the bill.
I can send unique links for their folders to each family and they do not need an account.
The can download all of their images at once in a zip file.
It shows the images with the file name.
After a year, everyone should have their images downloaded and I can close the Drive account.

Thank you everyone for your time and suggestions.

Reactions: Connorise and zac1