Taming the C6100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
Fit perfectly and yes the wires need to be lengthened and the connectors need to be swapped out. I just clipped the wires off of the stock fans to get the extensions and correct connector then cut the connector off the replacement fans and spliced the wires together.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
So on these replacements just cut off the end leaving most of the cabling and on the factory fans cut the wiring near the fan, leaving the connector with a longer pigtail for connecting to the wiring on the new fans, if I'm understanding that right? Of ate there some connector ends I should look for as well (maybe just to keep the factory fans all original.). Just use crimp connectors on the wires or...?

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
Yes I cut the connector off the new fans leaving most of the wire and on the original fans I cut the wire as close to the fans as I could to make the pigtails as long as possible. I soldered the wires together and covered them in heat shrink, I'm not a fan of crimp connectors when splicing wires. I don't see myself ever going back to the original fans so I was not concerned with keeping the original fans in operating condition.

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
I cut then stripped and soldered the wires together splicing the pig tails off of the original fans to the wires from the replacement fans after I cut just the connector off the replacement fans. After soldering I covered the connections in heat shrink. I didn't take any pictures and with everything buttoned up and the connections covered in heat shrink there really isn't much to show.

I am not a fan of t-taps, I have never found one that I thought was reliable in any situation. Not to mention there isn't a lot of spare room to have a bunch of t-taps adding bulk to 16 wire connections. I would recommend taking the time to solder the wires, it's worth it for the peace of mind.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
I cut then stripped and soldered the wires together splicing the pig tails off of the original fans to the wires from the replacement fans after I cut just the connector off the replacement fans. After soldering I covered the connections in heat shrink. I didn't take any pictures and with everything buttoned up and the connections covered in heat shrink there really isn't much to show.

I am not a fan of t-taps, I have never found one that I thought was reliable in any situation. Not to mention there isn't a lot of spare room to have a bunch of t-taps adding bulk to 16 wire connections. I would recommend taking the time to solder the wires, it's worth it for the peace of mind.

How did you match up wire colors?

MRose34

Jun 29, 2015
June 2015 Update: Just to keep these things going, some of us are just now playing around with these nodes as they are still around. I have successfully installed ESX 6.0 on all three blades to internal USB without issues. Thanks for everyone's hard work on this but just wanted people to know as ESX 6.0 is now out, it works just fine on these units.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Has anyone come across a mini cabinet or built one that would cut down on the noise but still provide airflow?

MRose34

Jun 29, 2015
Has anyone come across a mini cabinet or built one that would cut down on the noise but still provide airflow?
I ran across one that was built out of wood with foam all around it. Pulling air from front bottom and pushing out at back top but I just swapped the fans and sitting beside me at work you can only hear it one cube away. Very quite. I sandwiched it on its side between a file cabinet and a cube wall and it is prett quite :) of course most of it is the fan replacement.

MRose34

Jun 29, 2015
I ran across one that was built out of wood with foam all around it. Pulling air from front bottom and pushing out at back top but I just swapped the fans and sitting beside me at work you can only hear it one cube away. Very quite. I sandwiched it on its side between a file cabinet and a cube wall and it is prett quite :) of course most of it is the fan replacement.
And of course you can buy quite racks made this way but they are not cheap at all.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Reactions: gigatexal

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
For those that have used the nodes outside of the chassis, did you buy a heatsink that didn't fit on the node's motherboard? I may look at buying barebone nodes and replacing heatsinks.

Koopadu91

Nov 4, 2015
Hi, I have the same server.

I'd like to change fans, do you have any reference to me advisor so that it makes less noise?

what do you think of :
- FORCECON DFS803812MDOT,
- SUNON PMD1208PMB1-A

Last edited: