Taming the C6100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mrlie

Jan 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Quick update:

I just swapped the pin-order on my fan-extentions, to what Idea wrote and showed pics of in his post, and now I get to see the rpm-reading on all 4 fans via IPMI on all 4 nodes, which I was unable to earlyer. The supermicro-fans were also noticable much more quiet than the original delta-fans. Also checked the short fan-cables for damage/fraying, but they all looked good, ref to the short cuircet issue mentioned.

Gonna swap the hd's with some ssd and do some reinstallation and testing, and see how loud the fans are when the nodes are doing load. So far this looks very promising.

Idea, go buy your self a beer or two on my behalf! :)

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
The fans are San Ace 80 (9G0812P1F03) 12V, 0.58A, EP: 101121P made by Sanyo Denki.
Has anyone looked at the 9G0812P1F031? They're quite a bit cheaper on eBay than the 9G0812P1F03 but I haven't been able to find the specs beyond 12v/0.58A. They're pulls from Dell desktops so I'd expect them to be on the quiet side.

EDIT: Found someone to sell me four for $20 so I'm gonna find out!

Last edited:

Madhelp

Feb 7, 2013
Has anyone looked at the 9G0812P1F031? They're quite a bit cheaper on eBay than the 9G0812P1F03 but I haven't been able to find the specs beyond 12v/0.58A. They're pulls from Dell desktops so I'd expect them to be on the quiet side.

EDIT: Found someone to sell me four for $20 so I'm gonna find out!
How are those fans working out for you, I'm sure everyone would love to know. :)

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
FWIW ....

On a whim I purchased 4x San Ace 9G0812P1F041 (Dell pulls) fans from eBay - they were cheap enough !

They are certainly quieter than the original Deltas, but IMHO not as good as the Evercool's.

With one node powered and idle, the original Delta's idle at about 4000rpm. The San Ace 9G0812P1F041's idle at about 2200rpm and the Evercools at about 1800rpm.

I'm never going to run 4 nodes at full clip, and my goal (for my intended use) is to find the best balance between low noise and cooling capability for very moderate loads on a couple of nodes.

Madhelp

Feb 7, 2013
FWIW ....

On a whim I purchased 4x San Ace 9G0812P1F041 (Dell pulls) fans from eBay - they were cheap enough !

They are certainly quieter than the original Deltas, but IMHO not as good as the Evercool's.

With one node powered and idle, the original Delta's idle at about 4000rpm. The San Ace 9G0812P1F041's idle at about 2200rpm and the Evercools at about 1800rpm.

I'm never going to run 4 nodes at full clip, and my goal (for my intended use) is to find the best balance between low noise and cooling capability for very moderate loads on a couple of nodes.
Thanks for sharing! I was looking for a solid affordable alternative to the FAN-0074L4. I guess I'll go ahead and put in an order.

How long were the cables and did you need to buy extensions, if so where did you purchase them at?

Last edited:

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
How many dBA were people able to get this down to? Is this worth doing if your FCB is on PIC 16?

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
Has anyone tried using a PWM fan controller on these units? It worked for me on my sc846 expansion chasis where I did not have a motherboard to plug into and the fans were running full speed all the time.

MrBleh

Oct 29, 2013
I just made the mod last week. I didn't buy extra cables though. I just cut the cables and solder the new fan to the existing cable that had enough length. Used shrink tube to cover the exposed wire and it is super quiet now with the San Ace fans from Supermicro.

TimeFreedom

Oct 16, 2013
Which direction should the fan face when inserting them back in the server. The labels facing the hard drives or the other way?

Edit: Actually tested it myself by spinning the fan and I could feel the air blowing from the front-side of the fan or the side with the label. So I installed the fans with the label facing the rear of the server.

Last edited:

TimeFreedom

Oct 16, 2013
I am using the original wires from the Dell fans and attaching them to the San Ace 80 fans. How do I match the wire colors from the San Ace 80 fans which are blue, black, red, and yellow, but the original Dell fan wire colors are, blue, black, red, and green? Makes sense to match all the same colors and match the green and yellow. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vagwin

Jan 8, 2014
Hi All,

Great thread! I have just ordered my c6100 and now need to prepare the taming procedure. :)

To this end I have found some San Ace 80 9GV0812P1M03 fans available from a China supplier and wondered if any UK tamers would be interested in sharing the shipping and tax costs (to be confirmed, but should be a lot less than any available retail.

Please let me know via this thread and I can guage interest before placing the orders.

I am estimating around US$20 per fan including shipping...

Cheers,

vagwin

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Someone should make a drop in C6100 lowering the noise kit. I wonder how much it would cost.
Are there good deals on C6100 or did they dry up? The last deal mentioned here was reported to be out of stock.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Someone should make a drop in C6100 lowering the noise kit. I wonder how much it would cost.
Are there good deals on C6100 or did they dry up? The last deal mentioned here was reported to be out of stock.
I offer a service for my customers to replace all the fans to the San Ace models. I am considering doing a kit depending on interest.

New fans are not cheap where I am though with buying direct from the local SanAce distributor (lots of 20 and around 6 weeks wait) working out only a few $ less than buying the Supermicro units (1 week turnaround and lots of 1 unit).

The other problem was that I needed the original fans for the cables and plugs but I may have that covered now.

Unfortunately the kit will never be a direct drop in as the fan on the left (looking from the front)has its cable threaded through the bottom left hole of the metal fan wall meaning you need to remove a number of screws (or snip the cable) to get it out. I usually rethread the replacement through the center hole where the two middle fans cables go. I also put groves on the bottom of the fans to allow the cables to run without pushing them up.

I have a set to do for a customer in the next couple of days and was thinking of doing a step by step guide. I may do that, now my soldering has improved ;) ) and post it up.

As for C6100 stock. They are popping up but the cheap units now seem to only have 2 nodes and you need to be careful not to get a X23-SC/X23-TY (not TY3) or any of the other flaviours out there. I tend to look for adds with 55XX or 56XX processors listed only and ignore the rest.

I almost got a 2.5" chassis for a client but within the day, all of them were sold. Looked at the next least expensive a day later and got my clients confirmation but they were then all sold. If you want a cheap one then you need to move fast but just check you know what you are getting as it is perfect for vague seller information leading you to buy a heavily customised DCS version which you may not want.

There are also some cheap C6145 bare bones going. 4x AMD cpu per node, 2 nodes per chassis, multiple PCIe slots. CPUs are not that expensive and can be added to over time and 4GB ram sticks are cheap. Quite tempting.

RB

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
RB,

If you could find the right connector for the 6-pin FCB end you could just make up a set of cables with the Dell/6-Pin on one end and the standard 4-pin PWM on the other. Then its simple - get your new fans and plug it all together.

BTW, on the nodes that I've worked with, it is possible to get the left-end cable out through the hole in the fan try. Its a bit of a dexterity puzzle to find the right twists & turns to do it - but it is usually possible.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
RB,

If you could find the right connector for the 6-pin FCB end you could just make up a set of cables with the Dell/6-Pin on one end and the standard 4-pin PWM on the other. Then its simple - get your new fans and plug it all together.
Good call but would not work with the Supermicro version of the San Ace fans I am using as their cables are so short that he plug on them may stop the fans fitting correctly. Would be good for the other replacement fans though. Let me see if I can get some in and take a look. Would be a lot cheaper as well as the user can supply their own fans.

BTW, on the nodes that I've worked with, it is possible to get the left-end cable out through the hole in the fan try. Its a bit of a dexterity puzzle to find the right twists & turns to do it - but it is usually possible.
I will take a look on the unit I need to get finished. As I am still reusing the original cable I am a little concerned with pulling the plug off the wire.

Thanks
RB