T620 Memory

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shimabuku

Mar 3, 2017
I have a question. I just acquired a Dell T620 and it came with 16GB of memory. Now if I wanted to get more memory, how close would the memory have to be to the ones already installed?

Below is a pic of the current installed memory which is Kingston KR1P74-HYB but could not find them on ebay. I also cannot determine if they are registered or unregistered. Would these work?

32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR3 Memory for Dell PowerEdge R720XD T320 T410 T610 T620 T710 | eBay

20170303_192549.png

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I have a question. I just acquired a Dell T620 and it came with 16GB of memory. Now if I wanted to get more memory, how close would the memory have to be to the ones already installed?
Generally, same-or-better speed and of the same type (ECC / non-ECC, Registered / not, etc.) - but see below.
Below is a pic of the current installed memory which is Kingston KR1P74-HYB but could not find them on ebay. I also cannot determine if they are registered or unregistered.
Kingston makes parts for OEMs as well as end users / integrators. The OEM parts will have part numbers you probably won't find online. The parts themselves may be regular parts, just differently-numbered, or they can be completely unique (the latter is less common these days).

Since your part says "PC3L-10600E" it is a low-voltage DDR3-1333 unregistered part supporting ECC.
Not with the modules you have still in the system. As that eBay seller correctly notes, registered modules can't be used at the same time as unregistered.

Ever since the memory controller moved off the Northbridge and onto the CPU (10-ish years ago), we've been seeing more and more complex memory topologies. Dell servers tend to offer the full range of options (memory mirroring / sparing / optimizer / etc.) so this is particularly important there. While not as informative as a more generic board like a Supermicro, the T620 Technical Guide (PDF) does provide a bunch of useful data starting on page 22.

shimabuku

Mar 3, 2017
Appreciate your response Terry. I went through the T620 tech guide and went to ebay. Seems like registered ECC is much cheaper than unregistered.