System requirements to install windows 2012 for 150 users

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Junior admin

Feb 18, 2016
Chennai
Dear friends,

Here i planned to implement the windows domain module. Totally here we have 70 hosts for 150 users. We preferred to use windows 2012 as a DC. We may use the roaming profile for users. So all the user profile will be store on DC itself.

But i have a no idea about which configuration system we have to buy? like processor speed, ram size, HDD size.

So please suggest us to make a right decision.

Thanks,

Lingaprakash R

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
If all you're doing is running a DC then you need very little resources. If you are doing more with the server than that, it will have a bigger influence on component selection.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
generally an environment that size you will want 2 DC's (redundancy)

Ram , HD and processor can be pretty light (a SM 2550 can easlily do the work or VM's on a larger server). Since you mentioned that you are going to keep roaming profiles you should think that through (twice) as to storing them on the DC. roaming profiles can get quite large without the admins or the users knowing. I would use all SSD DC's if you plan on doing that. plus there is a different penalty for storing roaming profiles on a DC. DC;s have a SMB speed penalty for forced SMB signing. which basically cuts your network speed in half for all transfers.

Chris

Reactions: Diavuno

Diavuno

A DC needs nothing, I simply will not buy Atoms for clients, but an atom with 4gb RAM and an SSD drive will be enough.
That being said, get 2 DC's.
And a file server to hold everything.... Maybe 2 file servers, and if your using roaming profiles backup is even more important.