SYS-E200-8D hot powered off

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

berpast

Aug 18, 2019
I have a Supermicro SYS-E200-8D; when it is powered off, it is quite hot in the rear.
I’m wondering if this is normal or if there is any BIOS setting that can prevent this. I’m thinking that it is possible that some components (beside the IPMI) is still powered even when the system is powered off.

I remember a thread where people where discussing that the NVMe device was hot even when powered off, but I’m unable to find it.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Bernardo

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Supermicro's when off have BMC's going but they're only around 5W. It shouldn't be that hot right?

berpast

Aug 18, 2019
Yes, this one is the thread I was referring to, that I was no longer able to find. But unfortunately the thread, while confirming that some components are warm when the system is powered off, does not provide any solution.

Is there any configuration I can apply to power off components?

I also noticed that the 10Gb network card has the leds blinking when the system is powered off. Why does the 10Gb network card is powered on when the system is poweed off? Having an IPMI I assume that wake-on-lan is not really required.