Synology "roll your own".

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I know the forum topic is "commercial" NAS systems, but I've got a question about a commercial/custom hybrid. Synology publishes all their software on Sourceforge and licenses under GPL. There is some level of activity on various forums about people running Synology DSM on off-the-shelf hardware.

Good thread over at AVS here: [HOW-TO] Roll your own Synology DiskStation for NAS - UPDATE 5/28/2013 DSM 4.2-3211

Anybody have any experience with this? Good/bad results?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I know the forum topic is "commercial" NAS systems, but I've got a question about a commercial/custom hybrid. Synology publishes all their software on Sourceforge and licenses under GPL. There is some level of activity on various forums about people running Synology DSM on off-the-shelf hardware.

Good thread over at AVS here: [HOW-TO] Roll your own Synology DiskStation for NAS - UPDATE 5/28/2013 DSM 4.2-3211

I am interested in trying this too. We had a thread or two on it earlier. May make this a project.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I'm going to try this on my N40L tonight. Hopefully I can find a good link for the 4.2 DSM though (link in the first post is bad). It will keep me happy while I wait for my "IT Fund" to reach the $1000 I need for a DS1812+.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'm going to try this on my N40L tonight. Hopefully I can find a good link for the 4.2 DSM though (link in the first post is bad). It will keep me happy while I wait for my "IT Fund" to reach the $1000 I need for a DS1812+.
Build log here IMO

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
If you find a running build let us know. I have an N40L sitting around and can use it to more testing.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have two HP N40L running Xpenology DSM4.2, works fine with vSphere and Hyper V.
I have the files but no place to host it. If you have any idea, I could upload it.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I have two HP N40L running Xpenology DSM4.2, works fine with vSphere and Hyper V.
I have the files but no place to host it. If you have any idea, I could upload it.
We could do a file transfer and I could host them on my site.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX

So that guy basically claiming it as his own, but there is a whole community for doing this.

Xpenology
XPEnology NAS â€Â¢ View forum - XPEnology General discussion

https://mega.co.nz/

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just wondering, do you have Xpenology running in Hyper-V and ESXi 5.x?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I tested Xpenology as a VM in ESXi 5.x, also works well, I didn't do any special stress test. I just test it for few hours and have not got back to using it yet.

Regarding upload the files, after cooking dinner for the family, I'll take a shoot at all.

Later

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I tested Xpenology as a VM in ESXi 5.x, also works well, I didn't do any special stress test. I just test it for few hours and have not got back to using it yet.

Regarding upload the files, after cooking dinner for the family, I'll take a shoot at all.

Later
I found them. And if the ones I have work, I'll get them uploaded somewhere and also do a small write up. Right now I am very happy to have a RAC in my N40L.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Just following the directions of the xpenology forum link in nitrobass24 post.
The key step is after the initial boot from USB flash drive, just before you upload the DSM PAT file, pull the USB boot drive, otherwise the USB boot drive would be corrupted during the initial installation. After the initial installation is done, plug in the USB drive once again to boot the HP N40L then proceed to config the system.
I signed a new mega.co.nz account and will take me a while to upload the files, slow comcast internet.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Just following the directions of the xpenology forum link in nitrobass24 post.
The key step is after the initial boot from USB flash drive, just before you upload the DSM PAT file, pull the USB boot drive, otherwise the USB boot drive would be corrupted during the initial installation. After the initial installation is done, plug in the USB drive once again to boot the HP N40L then proceed to config the system.
I signed a new mega.co.nz account and will take me a while to upload the files, slow comcast internet.
I have them uploaded to mega.co.nz. 7-Zip does wonders to compress files before uploading :D

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Currently working with 5 internal drives (thumb drive in internal USB port). However, using an eSATA tower is not supported (or mine isn't). If I connect it to the onboard eSATA port it gets stuck in an reset loop. Connected to a SiL3132 card it isn't detected by DSM. Need to find my eSATA to SATA cable & a Molex to SATA power adapter and try it w/o the Port Multiplier in the loop.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Currently working with 5 internal drives (thumb drive in internal USB port). However, using an eSATA tower is not supported (or mine isn't). If I connect it to the onboard eSATA port it gets stuck in an reset loop. Connected to a SiL3132 card it isn't detected by DSM. Need to find my eSATA to SATA cable & a Molex to SATA power adapter and try it w/o the Port Multiplier in the loop.
What chip is that eSATA tower using? If both are SiL that should help.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
What chip is that eSATA tower using? If both are SiL that should help.
They are both SiL, but it has had issues in the past (was running Ubuntu 12.04.2 + Amahi 6) with drives not being detected if they aren't in the first slot. Could happen on bootup (took multiple tries to get them detected) or after it had been running. Not to happy with the quality of Sans Digital stuff, since this is the second one that has failed on me.

I am also trying to figure out why I can no longer see the printer I have connected to my N40L. I installed the modules "Nighthawk" posted on XPEnology and lost it. Still no UPS visible either :(

Last edited: