Synology motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

serverx

Jul 3, 2014
Hello, i own a synology DS1815+ without warranty and the motherboard has gone....
I asked to synology a new motherboard as spare part, but they arent selling it......
Someone know where i can found such motherboard or a different model ?
Thanks

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hello, i own a synology DS1815+ without warranty and the motherboard has gone....
I asked to synology a new motherboard as spare part, but they arent selling it......
Someone know where i can found such motherboard or a different model ?
Thanks
Is it dead like the Atom C2000 issue dead? if so, they have a program for replacing those under an extended warranty.

serverx

Jul 3, 2014
Just asked a motherboard to Synology trought their ticket system support...... EUR522 with shipping & tax
that's very insane, a 2015 (4 years old) NAS motherboard :)

I don't think that in the future I will continue
to buy synology products because in case of problems I don't want to have this kind of surprises.

Bye bye Synology.......

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Just asked a motherboard to Synology trought their ticket

I don't think that in the future I will continue to buy synology products because in case of problems I don't want to have this kind of surprises.

Bye bye Synology.......
it is out of warranty - what you expect? welcome to the modern world there you limited warranty would be one year (not three years as Synology)…

I left Synology but a different reasons, as I found their 10G options too limited and expensive vs what their competitors were offering. on the warranty front, I think they are in the right - people who want things cheap get what they get.

I also buy refurb/e-bay things (i.e. switch) , I would not go around blaming Rufus/Brocade when my recycles out of warranty equipment dies and manufacturer would refuse to work on it, it was the risk I knew I was taking..

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Do you mean Xpenology? Or really DSM? I believe Xpenology is somewhat delayed in version? Does all functionality works?
… Xpenology is ok if you are comfortable with its limitations
- you are playing lottery with loaders (various loaders based on various original source hardware from Synology)
- things like hardware summaries would be wrong (because they would show what loader is based on)
- the patches are a problem, there is no way to really know if it would work for YOUR hardware. You would rely on the forum on people reporting whether specific patch worked for you or not and then risking it anyway (since anyone could put anything in their hardware and then try to patch it)
- so you will always be slightly behind on patches, whether it matters to you is up to you to decide

other than that , yes the functionality generally works

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
What i find weird with xpenology is how they haven't found a way to crack the cameras app to make it work without paying synology per license.