Synology FS2017 24-Bay Flashstation $2972

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
is it an accurate photo on provantage web page?
isnt it supposed to be a rackable device?

Reactions: Samir

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Even this 50% discount does not make FS2017 a good value in my opinion. I would not buy it even for a $1000. Last time I needed something similar (a 2U NAS enclosure to house 2 dozens of SATA SSDs) I bought it for less than $300. Of course it was used and it did not have SAS3. It was ok since I used SATA drives anyway. But in every other regard it was better than FS2017.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
is it an accurate photo on provantage web page?
isnt it supposed to be a rackable device?
It is not. Provantage often has incorrect or placeholder images. Never trust what you see there for an image and just look it up somewhere else like the manufacturers website.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Even this 50% discount does not make FS2017 a good value in my opinion. I would not buy it even for a $1000. Last time I needed something similar (a 2U NAS enclosure to house 2 dozens of SATA SSDs) I bought it for less than $300. Of course it was used and it did not have SAS3. It was ok since I used SATA drives anyway. But in every other regard it was better than FS2017.
When I was trying to find comparable units and prices, SATA ones were cheaper, but SAS was not. Not sure why this is except for maybe the SAS controller and backplane, which shouldn't shoot the price up 10x, but it does.

Whoops, scratch that--I was thinking of something else.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The NAS appliance I got for $300 came with LSI SAS2308 on-board (so it supported both SAS2 and SATA3) with 4 lanes going to the SAS2 expander chip on the backplane and 4 more lanes to the external miniSAS connector for expansion. Had I decided to go for SAS3 I would have spent about $500 more or close to triple the price I paid. But it would still be less than a third of the price of this Synology.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The NAS appliance I got for $300 came with LSI SAS2308 on-board (so it supported both SAS2 and SATA3) with 4 lanes going to the SAS2 expander chip on the backplane and 4 more lanes to the external miniSAS connector for expansion. Had I decided to go for SAS3 I would have spent about $500 more or close to triple the price I paid. But it would still be less than a third of the price of this Synology.
Synologys command a lot of their price because of their software etc. There's tons of cheaper ways to do storage, but if someone needs this exact unit, it's impossible to find it at this price.