Synology DSM 7 - iSCSI vs NFS on vmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

Hello guys,

So I know in the past that Synology had problems and performance issues with iSCSI. Supposedly that has been resolved, but I cannot for the life of me, find anybody that has actually tested this.

I am in the process of setting up an SA3400 48TB (12x4TB) with 800gb NVMe Cache (M2D20 card) and dual 10Gig interfaces. This will be shared to 5 R620 (E5-2660V2, 128GB systems) and 1 R730xd (E5-2660 V3, 128GB) each with optional dual 10Gig (will start with 1, and add a second if needed). These will be mostly running low usage VM's (2 vmware Essential clusters), one for dev, one for prod.

Before I go moving all of my current vm infrastructure (which is running entirely on a single Dell T440...), I'm curious if I should plan for iSCSI and Synology VAAI, or skip it and go NFS. I'm more curious about performance more then anything else.

We may upgrade one of the Essentials licenses to Plus to allow vmotion, but that is only if iSCSI is performant enough.

Does anybody have real-world experience with DSM 7 and iSCSI, vs NFS ?

Also, if anybody would know of an effective way to test this ahead of time, I'm happy to run through the work, I'm just not sure of how to test this in a real-world scenario.

Reactions: Samir