Synology Cloud Backup Options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Dec 1, 2012
Hi All,

I have a Synology DS3612XS and I am interested in could backup solutions for my important data. I am probably only looking at backup up 20GB-30GB and most likely wont need to retrieve data unless the RAID6 set fails completely or the device is stolen. Due to cost (service cost and ISP quota) I can’t possibly backup my entire 20 odd TB’s so I will ultimately have some level of tolerable loss. I have seen many people using either CrashPlan or Glacier. I am interested in hearing others feedback on these options. If I can keep the service on the Synology as oppose to a VM that is preferable to me.

In addition I have been looking at options for clients as well and have considered using CrashPlan in a client to client configuration where workstations backup to the CrashPlan service on the Synology and then the Synology backs up to CrashPlan in the cloud. I think this is a reasonable option in that it reduces cost considerably, provides clients complete control over restores but I also loose that administrative ability which more than likely isn’t an issue. All in all I am interested in peoples solutions, perhaps better than my own.

Thanks,

Adam

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Or you could find a secondhand hp microserver (gen 7)
Whack 5 x 4tb drives in it
Install xpenology and use Synologies own built in backup service

Backup one box to the other;)

Then just use an internet cloud service for REALLY critical files.

Or if you want everything off site, what the microserver at a family members place ....

Bonus is you could also offer services on the microserver to the family members to use as a payback for hosting it for you.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Currently running Glacier for archiving personal photos, but it lacks the ability to perform a selective restore.

I just installed crash plan and S3 and am uploading about a 1tb to it to see how it performs.

Diavuno

Or you could find a secondhand hp microserver (gen 7)
Whack 5 x 4tb drives in it
Install xpenology and use Synologies own built in backup service

Backup one box to the other;)

Then just use an internet cloud service for REALLY critical files.

Or if you want everything off site, what the microserver at a family members place ....

Bonus is you could also offer services on the microserver to the family members to use as a payback for hosting it for you.

sounds familiar...

moms tower crashed a while ago, i gifted her a ML350 G5? the first 4x146 10k (riad 5) drives are VM stoprage. there is also 4x500gb notebooks(5400 and 7200 bottom of mmy drawer mix!) (raid 5) those are my moms backups that thus far are at 20% capacity...

and then i put in a 5.25 to 2.5 hot swap thing (4x2tb, 7200 white labeled raid 5) and that contains my critical backups. (at ~60%)

rest of my personal data is all riding the raid 6 in my supermicro in the garage...

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I second Stanza's idea. I have an HP DL180 G6 running Xpenology that I use to back up my 32TB Synology. I spin up the Xpenology box one a week to to a backup and then I shut it down again. I then have my main data, the backup on the Synology which is RAID6, and a backup of the backup on Xpenology.

Hi All,

I have a Synology DS3612XS and I am interested in could backup solutions for my important data. I am probably only looking at backup up 20GB-30GB and most likely wont need to retrieve data unless the RAID6 set fails completely or the device is stolen. Due to cost (service cost and ISP quota) I can’t possibly backup my entire 20 odd TB’s so I will ultimately have some level of tolerable loss. I have seen many people using either CrashPlan or Glacier. I am interested in hearing others feedback on these options. If I can keep the service on the Synology as oppose to a VM that is preferable to me.

In addition I have been looking at options for clients as well and have considered using CrashPlan in a client to client configuration where workstations backup to the CrashPlan service on the Synology and then the Synology backs up to CrashPlan in the cloud. I think this is a reasonable option in that it reduces cost considerably, provides clients complete control over restores but I also loose that administrative ability which more than likely isn’t an issue. All in all I am interested in peoples solutions, perhaps better than my own.

Thanks,

Adam

jorgewa36

Oct 30, 2014
I currently use a service called CloudBacko. Free CloudBacko supports Windows, Linux, Mac, etc. You must also need ease and conveniency in storing your data. It is the fastest, secure and more reasonable from other Cloud Storage solutions. It provides 100TB of cloud storage free of charge.