Synology branded HDDs HAT5300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
I just received email from Synology saying they are launching their own line of hard drives.

are these some white labels from WD/Seagate/Toshiba? Cant find any pricing yet but guess they will be expensive.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Some further info here - NAS-Festplatten vom NAS-Hersteller Synology
sorry haven't found how to switch the page to english, but maybe its hardcoded to the browser/OS setting

Drives are various vendors (Segate, Toshiba, WD) and usually more expensive than original ones.

Huge issue is that you seem to have to use Syno disks in newer Enterprise Models

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Trying to lock you in the same way Dell or HPE would, that is of course because they can assure quality of the total solution, reduce costs by certifying & testing less, and increase profits by selling more at a higher price.

Having said that i have and would still say a small Synology is a great option at home for the less IT savvy or also those that know IT and don’t want to spend their life at home tinkering all day.
(I expect my internet connections and all basic functions to work all the time for my family without having to ask me anything, that means nothing fancy for general tasks)

Reactions: T_Minus

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No idea, that was written in the article I linked.
Originally they said all models would run Syno disks only and changed that later to enterprise models (xs and higher) and that is still there.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I understood it like only non-Synology drives <=4TB can be used. Everything bigger has to be Synology. Also only Synology drives can be upgraded firmware wise in these appliances. That's how I got it.