Synology 1812+ Died, wont power on

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I came home this afternoon to find that my NAS was not on. It is hooked up to a UPS, so either the PSU or a fuse blew.

Not really sure what to do here. I am going to open it up and see if anything visual is wrong. Bought it on 2/13/13, so no chance of a warranty based on what i have found.

Open to ideas on what to check and how to recover my RAID5.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I came home this afternoon to find that my NAS was not on. It is hooked up to a UPS, so either the PSU or a fuse blew.

Not really sure what to do here. I am going to open it up and see if anything visual is wrong. Bought it on 2/13/13, so no chance of a warranty based on what i have found.

Open to ideas on what to check and how to recover my RAID5.
Luckily, Synology just uses a modified version of mdadm. If you were truly using RAID5 and not Synology's Hybrid RAID, you could literally pull the disks out of there and mount them with any linux distro, install mdadm and assemble the array.

Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 /dev/sd[a-d]3
The above is an example, but that's how easy mdadm is to assemble because each disk contains the metadata that is needed to re-assemble the array. Hopefully, it's something simple and just a PSU or fuse, but the good news is that either way, your data should be recoverable.

You can view the superblock metadata on each disk like this (change the 3 to coincide with the proper partition, in Synology, the data partition is typically the third one).
Code:
mdadm --examine /dev/sd[a-d]3
Please let me know if you have any more questions, I've been helping people with mdadm issues for years, and I'm happy to help.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Yea i was just reading about mdadm, so should be able to recover my stuff without much issue. I may take you up on your offer in the near future though.

I opened up the box and it uses a FlexATX/ITX PSU but of course it would have some proprietary connectors. So I can't easily test. Need to see if those are just power for the backplane versus what goes to the Mobo.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Yea i was just reading about mdadm, so should be able to recover my stuff without much issue. I may take you up on your offer in the near future though.

I opened up the box and it uses a FlexATX/ITX PSU but of course it would have some proprietary connectors. So I can't easily test. Need to see if those are just power for the backplane versus what goes to the Mobo.
Let me know if you have any questions once you get into it. Like I said, I'm happy to help if you need it :)

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
So backplane connectors aside the mobo just uses the 24pin ATX connector. I hooked up a ATX PSU i have laying around and i get lights and fan. Now I just need to get a hold of a new PSU.

Reactions: Patrick

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Synology have a 2 year warranty, so you could have got it fixed until you opened it up...
Opening the casing doesn't void the warranty. It's how you add the additional memory which is a supported end user upgrade. Good to know its two years.

This sucks. I'm hoping @nitrobass24 you get up and running soon. $660 to replace is rough.
I just bought a spare power supply to replace the failed one.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
So heard back from syno today, but am a little frustrated because they want me to send the unit back so they can test and decide if they ship me a new one. I cannot have this kind of downtime due to process.

@Patrick - Know anyone at Syno that can expedite this or just refund the money i paid for the power supply.

Dear Synology User,

I was able to verify that you are still under warranty. Please follow the directions below so we can get you a replacement. We provide a shipping label for you. Can we please get a shipping address.

Standard RMA instructions

1. To begin the Standard RMA process, please package the original unit securely with all originally included accessories, but without your hard drives, and use the attached shipping label PDF to ship the unit to our offices.

2. Once we receive your package, we will benchtest and ship a replacement via UPS Ground to the address of your choice. If you have not already provided a current shipping address in this support case, please do so via email. Once you have shipped your unit, please respond back letting us know you have shipped it so we can best assist you.

If you need expedited shipping, you may request a quote and you will be responsible for the difference in price between ground and expedited methods.

3. The migration process is outlined in the tutorial link below:
How to Migrate Between Synology DiskStations (DSM 4) - Tutorials - Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)

International Customers
1. We will do our best to minimize any costs you will incur, but you will be responsible for any costs incurred at the border.
2. For shipping to us, please fill out the shipping invoice so that:
a. This is a defective return for repair
b. Item value $19.50
c. No commercial value

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Guess its like any warranty work is dependant on time vs money vs inconvenience, as to use it or not. Note here in Aus some of the NAS providers offer 2 warranties type, one you send it in, then the other type is they send you a replacement out to you straight up, difference in cost is reasonable..

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Buy another 1812+ off Amazon, use that for up to 30 days, start a return on it, and you've got another 30 days. So, you can use it for up to 60 days for free.

PatrickC

Dec 27, 2016
Just want to thank nitrobass24 for the comments on December 13, 2014 about the 24-pin ATX connector. You gave me the courage to frankenstein an old PSU to get my DS1815+ back online until the RMA unit arrives. After a couple hours of cutting, soldering, heat-shrinking, etc. I "recreated" the two custom connectors which provide +12V and +5V to the backplane. The box powered right up and came online with the cover off and the 350W ATX PSU sitting on the shelf next to it.

I really appreciate the help, thank you!