SX6036 Unresponsive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fatmandandan

Apr 22, 2021
Hi all, I just bought a MSX6036F-1BRR from ebay and I think it is unresponsive upon first boot. I'm connected to the console port and the switch is able to boot to the point where it asks for the username. After I enter the username and password the text "Mellanox Switch" Pop up and I don't get any further readout. In addition, the front and rear status lights are both showing red. After reading the manual, it seems that this is a major error such as a system overheat, or corrupted firmware. The air coming out of the switch is cool which leads me to believe that the firmware is corrupted. Is there any way to recover from this? Thanks for the help!

edit: It is now showing "%Management back end unavailable. Continuing with reduced functionality."
Screenshot 2021-04-22 160005.jpg

Last edited:

necr

Dec 27, 2017
There are normally 2 partitions you can boot from. Is the boot loader available? Then you could download a test image, mount the main partition and read the dmesg/other logs. If you’re not sure this tinkering is worth it - return/sell for parts, debugging can be tedious and still end with the switch replacement.

fatmandandan

Apr 22, 2021
There are normally 2 partitions you can boot from. Is the boot loader available? Then you could download a test image, mount the main partition and read the dmesg/other logs. If you’re not sure this tinkering is worth it - return/sell for parts, debugging can be tedious and still end with the switch replacement.
Thanks for the info! The seller was extremely generous and sent over another switch without me having to send back the one with corrupted firmware. I'll definitely try switching the boot partition tonight, would be super nice to have one to tinker around with and another in use. I saw some posts in another thread about booting from a USB drive, so I may try that as well.