sx6036 down to $150 now

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I haven't tested Mellanox 100G Infiniband cables yet (Mellanox has 100G Ethernet and 100G Infiniband cables), but at least for Mellanox 100G Ethernet cables, you only get FDR10.
Remind me some day to test that ;) Just currently not running a 60xx switch so not a 5 min job

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well buying in the US does not ensure not getting MLX ES stuff, I can tell you that from my own experience;)

But its good to know, might want to check a bit closer in the future;)

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
In general I find the used market for homelab stuff in Israel to be somewhat crazy and non transparent. relative to the US market. people just want too much. What's crazy is, due to 17% VAT, for small, but somehat expensive, things, it is sometimes cheaper to ship things to my parents in the US and wait for them to stick in their suitcase when they visit (which hasn't happened for obvious reasons for the past year, but will probably change soon).

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
ok, I just jumped in. bought the $200 one with the 4 DACs and another ebay for 5 Oracle cards at $15 a piece (though have to buy full height brackets, so add $3 per card). Going to give my dad a project and a reason to clear up some of his junk so he has room to work (and take him back to the 70s, when he was an EE/CS person working for a military lab buildings NICs and the network protocols from the ground up, though most of my life he was in management, so those skills somewhat atrophied)

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
my mom is getting a new kitchen, my dad could use some toys too. much cheaper in practice.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
Thank You for posting potential switch deal. Looks like this listing is $207 + taxes with shipping in USA. ...How do you happen to know this one comes with the ETH license?

This link is $200 for MSX6036F with extras (QSFP cables) plus free shipping , so a little cheaper;)
MSX6036F-1BRR IBM Mellanox SX6036 FDR14 InfiniBand Switch SX6036 + Extra | eBay.
So I bought the $200 one and not just did it come with the 4 1m cables (probably at least a $15-$20 value each themselves). It came with what appears to be the rails for it! (a much much much much larger value to me). This is just me video chatting with my dad to see what arrived, but relatively thin metal pieces about the length of the switch wrapped in bubble wrap came with it, unsure what they can be besides the rails.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Nice:)

Q is though whether its only inner or also outer rails - inner were on the pic, outer not

Inner rails are quite common (included with the switch), the outer rails are hard to get

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
ok, you're probably right :) oh well, was excited there for a moment. brought back down to earth

Jun 22, 2015
I bought one from the seller in the original post. It came factory reset with a test note saying reset button has to be pressed all the time for factory reset. One of the two power supplies was DOA but the seller promptly sent a replacement. Good service noted.
Just started learning lb networking but I can verify that a 100G QFSP28 dac cable works between the switch and a Mellanox cx3 adapter with a fdr link rate of 56Gbps. The cable is a cheap generic dac.
Is there any way to lower the speed of fans? The fans spin at 8k rpm (and 10k rpm for ps fans) even with just two ports active. The noise doesn't leak through the walls but still every time I go near it I get a dose of high frequency screams which is pretty annoying.
Btw the switch is a HP variant with a HP part number (670769-B21) and firmware version 3.6.6010. And I was able to update to the latest from HPE support site.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Are the images from different vendors interexchangeable?

On one hand they should be regular MLX images, on the other hand these numbers are never identical, so it makes me wonder whats fixed in one but not the other or if there is something specific in one that might negatively adverse the switch if its been running another build

Specifically I wonder why the 36 has gotten so slow after I installed the latest Lenovo build after a bunch of HPE where I never noticed...

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

I recently updated a very old (2012) HPE SX 6036 through multiple Images (around 8) from the HPE site, using the Web GUI.

Each HPE update took around 25 minutes to install, once the image had been uploaded and had reached the install stage.

Going from HPE 3.6.8010 to the Lenovo 3.6.8012 took around 60 minutes, I did think it was going to fail.

Finally it updated and has been running normally since. I have not used any other images.

I also have a SX1036 with a Mellanox Onyx 3.6.8012 image, does anyone know what the difference between the Onyx and the MLNX-OS image really is?

All of these are VPI switches.

Thanks again for all the help and knowledge.

RedX1

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Hi

I recently updated a very old (2012) HPE SX 6036 through multiple Images (around 8) from the HPE site, using the Web GUI.

Each HPE update took around 25 minutes to install, once the image had been uploaded and had reached the install stage.

Going from HPE 3.6.8010 to the Lenovo 3.6.8012 took around 60 minutes, I did think it was going to fail.

Finally it updated and has been running normally since. I have not used any other images.

I also have a SX1036 with a Mellanox Onyx 3.6.8012 image, does anyone know what the difference between the Onyx and the MLNX-OS image really is?

All of these are VPI switches.

Thanks again for all the help and knowledge.

RedX1
Hello,

Do you have the list os images you downloaded and installed ? I tried to go directly to Lenovo 3.6.8012 and it failed with the following error :

Error: /bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive /bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive /bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now *** Could not extract files from /tmp/mnt_image_wi/tmpfs/unzip/webimage.tbz.tar : 2

Thanks

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello,

Do you have the list os images you downloaded and installed ? I tried to go directly to Lenovo 3.6.8012 and it failed with the following error :

Error: /bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive /bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive /bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now *** Could not extract files from /tmp/mnt_image_wi/tmpfs/unzip/webimage.tbz.tar : 2

Thanks
Hi

Check out post 13 and post 21 from this thread.

Follow the image upgrade path from the Installation Instrucrions on the HPE page.

Once you get to 3.6.8010 from HPE you can then go to the Lenovo 3.6.8012 image.

If you use the Web GUI you may (Will) need to remove the old "Webimage.tbz" file after each stage.

I hope this helps.

RedX1