Switching to Cisco Enterprise Switches to Replace Juniper EX3300-24T Switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Hello All,

I want to replace my Juniper EX3300-24T switches with some Cisco Enterprise switches. The Cisco switches needs to be stackable, Layer 3 capable, and have at least 2 10G SFP+ uplink ports. If there are some older model Cisco switches out there that will meet the requirements I stated, please recommend them. Once again, I am open for recommendation on current and older model Cisco switches.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I'd recommend 3850's with the 4 x10g uplink module.

Why are you wanting to switch though?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I'd recommend 3850's with the 4 x10g uplink module.

Why are you wanting to switch though?
Can you please specify the exact model number. I am switching over to learn more about Cisco switches so I can get my Cisco certifications...

aero

Apr 27, 2016
If you are going to be driving any serious volumes of traffic then avoid 3750-x like the plague. Port buffers are abysmal (2MB per 24 ports, vs 12MB on 3650/3850), and the stacking bandwidth is terrible as well. 3850 > 3650 > 3750 > 2960

If it's not for anything serious, then by all means, buy 3750's as they're a lot cheaper.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
These switches are much more expensive than the Juniper EX3300. Let me look at the 3650 model. Any other Cisco switch recommendation? Where is the best place to purchase used Cisco switches at a reasonable price?

Last edited:

bateau

Jan 22, 2017
Some Cisco 'enterprise' guys will cringe, but there is always the SMB (SG) series. Their software is a subset of what can be found in the enterprise series, but they are L3 capable, and do stack, but only with other SG switches. Maybe that is enough for you. I got a couple of SG350X (2 x SFP+, plus 2 x combo 10G copper/SFP+) for about 550EUR each. You will need to search hard though to get that price.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Some Cisco 'enterprise' guys will cringe, but there is always the SMB (SG) series. Their software is a subset of what can be found in the enterprise series, but they are L3 capable, and do stack, but only with other SG switches. Maybe that is enough for you. I got a couple of SG350X (2 x SFP+, plus 2 x combo 10G copper/SFP+) for about 550EUR each. You will need to search hard though to get that price.
I want to stick with the enterprise catalyst models.

doofoo

Aug 28, 2013
Hello All,

I want to replace my Juniper EX3300-24T switches with some Cisco Enterprise switches. The Cisco switches needs to be stackable, Layer 3 capable, and have at least 2 10G SFP+ uplink ports. If there are some older model Cisco switches out there that will meet the requirements I stated, please recommend them. Once again, I am open for recommendation on current and older model Cisco switches.
Any reason why not to use Juniper EX4200? They are stackable and you can have them with 2 x 10GB Modules for dirt cheap w/ Dual Power supplies.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Any reason why not to use Juniper EX4200? They are stackable and you can have them with 2 x 10GB Modules for dirt cheap w/ Dual Power supplies.
I plan to get numerous Cisco certifications in the next 6 months.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I plan to get numerous Cisco certifications in the next 6 months.
Keep your Junipers, just add some cheap Cisco switches to practice on.

4 x 3750s and Cisco VIRL ($200 per year) in a VM will give you everything you need to pass all the Cisco certs, with the possible exception of Data Center tracks.

Reactions: altmind

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014

4 x 3750s and Cisco VIRL ($200 per year) in a VM will give you everything you need to pass all the Cisco certs, with the possible exception of Data Center tracks.
Seems like a good idea.. I am studying for the Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching Cert. What router and how many would you recommend?

manfri

Nov 19, 2015
cisco virl, as i understood, is a series of emulated cisco routers running as vmware model, all you need to learn for certification

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Seems like a good idea.. I am studying for the Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching Cert. What router and how many would you recommend?
VIRL is massive overkill for the CCNA, but great for the CCNP and CCIE. That said, if you're planning on CCNP/CCIE down the road VIRL will cover what you need for CCNA. VIRL doesn't have all of the features for the CCNP switching exam, which is why you'd want to get 3750s if you're targeting examp topics. As mentioned elsewhere, 3650 is a better switch for a production/quasi-production environment, but for cert lab study you'd want the 3750 as they have the stacking functionality that is a requirement for CCNP Switch exam, although not a huge part of the exam topics.

If you prefer to have real hardware for your CCNA studies, 3 1841 ISRs routers and a 3750/3650 would get you off to a great start and could be incorporated into your CCNP/CCIE lab down the road.

Last edited:

maze

Apr 27, 2013
IMO, cisco charges a premium for their switches. You can get gear from juniper/aruba at a better price. A lab for CCNA isnt really - again imo - justification to burn that kind of money on production gear. Rather grab one of the "premade" labs on ebay really.. thought about doing that? - if you really want phy hardware anyway, alternatively VIRL og GNS3 could be a good option.

Reactions: altmind

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I still have my old Shuttle xg41 mini PC, lga775 with a Q9400 CPU , 8gb ram running Ubuntu 10.x with QEMU.
The purpose of this old mini PC is for my Cisco router lab, it would run 10 concurrent Cisco ISOv routers.
Pretty amazing that 10 x Cisco virtual routers runs like a champ on such old hardware.

Now, I moved the Ubuntu 10.x with QEMU to a Vmware workstation host.

But I still fire up the mini PC once a while just to watch 10 Cisco virtual routers humming along with less than 6gb RAM usage.

Edit, If you want cheap/ free solution, take a look at EVE-NG software.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016

You can get most of the certs without any hardware. Just the simulator. I found that out when I was pricing a cert lab so saved my money, electricity and what is left of my hearing.