Switching from Windows based Storage/Transcode Server to Ubuntu Advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dexvx

Mar 6, 2014
My home storage/transcode server (mostly media) is Windows Server 2012 R2 based using a SuperMicro X10 board/Xeon E5 v3/LSI 9260-8i with 8x 4TB drives in HW RAID6. I actually migrated the setup from Windows Server 2008 and initially SuperMicro X7 board/4x 1TB drives. So the design/implementation is probably circa 2009 era.

With cheap WD 8TB drives this holiday, and all the progress made on storage systems, I'm looking at using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and mergerfs and snapraid via docker containers. I'm not looking for upgrading the hardware (SuperMicro X10). My plan involves the following:

1. Buy 6x 8TB WD Easystores and a LSI HBA. Do a low level check and shuck them if passed.
2. I still have my Supermicro X7 board/ECC memory/CPU. I will install Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with mergerfs/snapraid using 2 parity drives (32TB usable) on a new SSD.
3. Copy over all my data (8x 4TB RAID6 = 24TB usable) to the Supermicro X7 system.
4. Bring my X10 Windows Server offline and disconnect the 4TB drives and the RAID controller. Keep the OS SSD drive in case something goes wrong.
5a. Boot the Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS installed on my Supermicro X7 system on my Supermicro X10 system; bring up the 6x 8TB pool.

or

5b. Install Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on my Supermicro X10 system with mergerfs/snapraid. Add the 6x 8TB drives to the pool.

Anyone see anything wrong with the plan or may offer better insights?