Switch that allows custom firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ad16384

Nov 15, 2018
Hi

I am looking for a switch manufacturer that will allow us to put our own management app on the switch. This will enable the switch to connect to our cloud servers for configuration and status reporting. The switch would be 24 port 1Gb PoE - nothing too fancy.
All the SDN and "Open" switches are high end and out of our budget.

I am there are some Asia suppliers that would be open to this but it is proving a very hard to get a response from any.

Cheers

Ad

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not going to be much help here, but just to confirm I have only ever seen 10,40,100G type speeds for the ‘open’ switches, don’t recall ever seeing a 1G and also don’t recall ever seeing POE.

kapone

May 23, 2015
They keyword in your question is "budget". This is a very niche requirement that cannot (for all practical purposes) be satisfied. Almost all manufacturers will work with anybody to do anything they want, as long as the budget is high enough.

What would be their incentive to develop and market such a thing? For e.g., Quanta will happily give you every single piece of information/code that you want to develop a custom firmware on their chassis. The catch? They won't even talk to you unless your budget is a few million... :)

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
saw some northbound network 5x 1Gb switches but those are generally for development use.