switch repair suggestions and id help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

piroman

Jan 22, 2022
I just received from an ebay seller what I thought was a dell 32 port qsfp router with a bad fan was in fact a dell 32 port qsfp28 router with a mangled fan connector. There is also no stickers on the unit except one put on by the seller. The service tag info does not pull up any info. so I don't quite know what I have. I'll include a picture from the control board. The second is where sould i send it to get repaired. I'll include pictures of the damage. Some trace repair is needed.

Attachments

Zombielinux

Jun 14, 2019
I'm not sure what model it is either, but I can tell you the repair on that is going to be a pain in the butt.

Its a big-ish connector and the pads are all torn up.

You might see if you can find a cell phone repair shop that would take this on.

First step is to find out what you have. Since its a qsfp28, do you have a link to your ebay seller?

klui

Feb 3, 2019
This is a switch not router. The damage appears unrepairable unless they have very specialized tools or use some creativity. The problem is there are 2 rows of surface mounted pins. A regular hot air station will melt the connector and it is impossible to use a soldering iron to get at the outer row. One can try heating the board from below. The bad connector appears to be missing a pin on the far left in the photo so it needs to be sourced from somewhere. With any luck that probably goes to ground so it may not be that important. The pads that lifted appears to all have VIAs and traces that can be tapped.

If I were OP I would contact the channel creator of Tronicsfix and ask him if he would take it on. It would make a great video IMO. No affiliation but love his repairs.

My guess is the reseller didn't know what they had either. I found one closed listing with the same non-descript attributes of "Dell POC Cavium" on eBay.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
i think it is repairable and i would attempt it myself, but it indeed will not be easy, and if i were, i will take literally ages to get to it.
you have at least two problems on had.

1: It is a complicated two row connector with the lower second row still stuck on the PCB.
One would there for need to straighten out the pins and then carefully slide the plastic back on without damaging those further.
The already bent pin should not be an issue, even if it breaks off, since it looks like that one is one in a group with enough spares.
The pins on the right look to be signals and should not be damaged in any case!
They luckily don't seem to be from the pictures.

2: The ripped pads on the first row.
They don't need to be reconstructed, but the Pins need to of course be reconnected to the Signals.
To me it looks like the metal contacts can be reached and aren't obstructed by anything.
That means that someone could run wires from the Vias / ripped traces to the pins directly with just a soldering iron.

Other options are be to scrap the connector and solder on a new one.
Or to use wires to make it work but non hotswap / removable.

It is still a challenging task that needs a lot of experience and good equipment.

Phone repair shops, at least good ones that actually do board level repairs, do way more extreme things than That.
And they, like people like TronicsFix, Louis Rossmann and others have the experience and equipment to do that repair.
But most of those sadly aren't willing to embark on such adventures.

You will be able to find someone that can and will repair it, the only question is your willingness to search, their location, time and money.

EDIT:
It is tight around the connector and that makes it very challenging to work on with an Soldering-Iron

Last edited:

piroman

Jan 22, 2022
Thanks for all the good info. Sorry, I still seam to use router/switch interchangeably even though i know the difference. So I'll start the search for a good repair shop.

Reactions: RageBone