Switch recommendation: Smart/Managed gigabit, SFP/SFP+, homelab use

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
with unifi, it's not all or none. I started just with the AP's. Then added a PoE switch to run my AP's and UniFi cameras. Next I needed more ports so I grabbed another UniFi switch. Then I grabbed the USG4Pro to replace my pfSense (still run it in a VM for VPN duties. I just use the USG for routing/firewall/dns/dhcp/DPI) Lastly to round out my all UniFi network, I grabbed the UniFi 16 port 10GbE switch.... so I got bit by the bug and replace my other gear (Linksys APs, Dell L2/L3 switch, Cisco L2/L3 switch)

Good Luck!
Not trying to hijack this thread----how is the usg pro 4 on a 1gig connection? as I am considering it--

K D

Dec 24, 2016
with unifi, it's not all or none. I started just with the AP's. Then added a PoE switch to run my AP's and UniFi cameras. Next I needed more ports so I grabbed another UniFi switch. Then I grabbed the USG4Pro to replace my pfSense (still run it in a VM for VPN duties. I just use the USG for routing/firewall/dns/dhcp/DPI) Lastly to round out my all UniFi network, I grabbed the UniFi 16 port 10GbE switch.... so I got bit by the bug and replace my other gear (Linksys APs, Dell L2/L3 switch, Cisco L2/L3 switch)

Good Luck!

BTW I use the USG itself for VPN and it works like a charm.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I’ve just swapped out all my collection of rag tag switches and pfsense for UniFi gear. Still got the trusty old lb6m tor but that will be retired at some point for an xg16. I had UniFi ap’s and cameras previously and the death of my c2000 based pfsense box provoked the change. I could of swapped the board out but since I work from home I needed it fixed quick.
Sure the usg pro 4 doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of pfsense but I’m happy so far.

Reactions: Monoman

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Is it complicated to have a USG for DHCP, routing, and also a hardware pfsense for firewall and VPN services? Its the only missing part of my Unifi system. But I am reluctant to give up my pfsense as it has worked well for me.

Barry

Apr 8, 2018
What's your budget? Choose Cisco SG300-10SFP, SG550XG-8F8T if you have enough money.