Switch Recommendation Rubber Ducky

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
I am looking at some guidance as I have been trying to upgrade to 10 Gbit network in the house and 10GBase-T does not seem to be quite ready yet.

Current hardware:
  1. Quotom 355G5 (router)
  2. Nortel 5220 48P POE (flashed to avaya; used for POE and core switch)
I acquired the Nortel years ago, and has served me well. I will be building out using Ubiquity AP PRO (and cloud key) and a small 27 or 35 U (Tripplite or Kendall Howard) in the basement for future servers. I started with building out a NAS and transferring large files is taking forever and not taxing on NAS so it started the search for 10 Gbit. I will also be building out the rack over the next couple years, to do computation and transcoding as a hobby :) so network is essential for the NAS.

I do not do any special VLAN or other advanced options inside the network. I might once I get the AP setup so who knows. I just need to be able to push the entire bandwidth possible on the line. I currently max out my Cat6 often.

Switch Options:
  1. MikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM (new)
    • Just used as a switch, some discussions about not being stable or not being able to max out the fiber
  2. Ubiquiti US‑16‑XG (new)
    • It seems like there might be some issues with quality and restarting randomly
  3. Arista DCS-7124 (used)
  4. Dell Powerconnect 8024F (used)
  5. Brocade ICX6610-24-I (used)
My budget is <= $1k, and started researching transceivers. I know that Arista might be the pickiest with third party ones. When I redo my office, I will be running conduit so I can run fiber to my office and main workstation. I do not know fiber switches that well, I do software.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT

Forgot to mention I have 0 network admin management. I manage my own dedicated boxes around DCs but never switches always used the UI. I am not opposed to managing it in CLI.